1.new

🔻New

"What's your name Miss" the school secretary looks up from candy crush saga.

"Nicole Rae" I forcefully smile.

"Ah! follow me" she grabs a map, schedule, and some other papers.

"Mr. Harris! Adrian!" She knocks on the door hollering.

"Yes Trish"

"The transfer from Santa Monica is here. Nicole" she gestures for me to come in.

My black jansport backpack seems to get heavier with each step. He looks over his seating chart then sighs.

"Go sit next to Mr. McCall" he points to a boy

I walk over quickly and sit. I yank out all the stuff and begin to take notes.

"Hi I'm Scott" he grins.

"I'm Nikki" I whisper nervously.

He constantly stares at me during the class and when the bell rings, the contents of my bag fall on the ground. He helps me and I shake my head.

"why are you so nice to me" I ask.

"I was bullied a lot" he admits sheepishly.

After leaving, I follow and head to my locker. I fumble with the combination until the principal comes and opens it. I thank him then enter lunch heading towards the empty corner table to sit.

"You're Nicole, right" a girl asks.

I nod nervously and look around fidgeting.

"I'm-"

"Erica, get away from her" Scott interrupts her.

"Is there a problem?" Some blonde kid pushes between the growling pair.

"I was just wondering if she wants a lunch. Do you sweetie?" Erica looks down with an eerie smirk.

"No thank you" I reply politely.

The day eventually ends and I walk to my apartment building. I see Erica and that kid in a car slowly approaching and I look down.

"Nicole! You want a ride" she asks leaning across the driver.

I shake my head softly letting my hair hide myself.

Her mouth opens but a glass bottle is thrown at me.

"Nicole! Get your ass in this house right fucking now" my mom yells.

I run and then she slams the door behind me.

"No bus to this side of town" she slurs drunkenly.

"None" I shake my head.

"Good, you need the exercise you fat slob" I nod obediently then go into my room.

The shower turns to scalding and I step in trying to burn the pain away. I cry and reach for my razor blades but find they are gone. I grab a pill bottle and take a couple back to go to sleep. Grabbing my blanket, I cry until I fall asleep.

-

I wake up and pull on my sweatpants with a black long sleeve baggy hoodie. I pull on my shoes and then walk to school. Silence engulfs me and I decide to begin running. Entering the school, I go into the classroom. I take my seat and await lunch. Once lunch comes, I go into the library and sit in a corner.

"Nicole?" A soft voice interrupts the silence.

"Yes"

Two girls approach and I look down too scared to make eye contact.