Chapter 18

Colleen's POV

"It is on my calendar. Okay. Uh-huh, bye." I wrote on my calendar a clean out appointment for the baby.

I turned on the faucet to boil water for pasta and nothing came out. Our water got turned off.

I texted Josh, "Meet me at In and Out... Our water's off."

"Can't we just get another loan?" He asked when we sat down with our tray of burgers and fries.

"No Josh! We need to use our own money, we're adults!" I exclaimed.

Everyone in the restaurant stared at us, "did you get the money for this week yet?" I whispered.

"Tomorrow. We can last for one night without water."

"I need to shower, brush my teeth, drink! I'm not messing around here!"

"Calm down! Neither am I! It'll be on around noon tomorrow, you won't even be awake by then."

"I have an interview tomorrow," I mumbled under my breath.

"What?! Why didn't you tell me?!"

"You didn't tell me when you had one! I was going to surprise you!"

"Congratulations! I'm so proud, what is it?"

"A part time job at Michaels, just to pay the bills. I basically already live there, and I would get a discount on all their stuff."

"You were 'Customer of the Week' once so I guess that makes sense."

I shrugged and took a bite of my getting-cold burger.

Josh's POV

I looked at my watch, 9am. I knocked on my neighbor's door. We've never met so I guess it's a little weird to ask if my wife could use their shower.

"Can I help you?" Asked a British old woman through her screen door.

"Hi, I'm Joshua... I'm your neighbor. My wife has an interview today and our water got turned off so could she use your bathroom?"

"Oh sure! But don't disturb the hamsters." She opened her screen door and motioned towards 5 cages with 3 hamsters in each one.

"I- uh I'll go get her."

"Okay so I got a place for you to shower but she's a little... weird," I told Colleen as she filled a plastic bag with toiletries.

"What's wrong with her?" she asked concernedly.

"Hamsters, A LOT of hamsters."

She gave me a puzzled look then walked out the door.

Colleen's POV

"Thanks for the tea and hot dogs, but I really have to go," I told the woman, her name was changed to Ellie Hamstey.

"You come back anytime you want to, I always have barbecues every Thursday morning!"

I got out of her house as fast as I could and ran to Josh's Prius.

"Hello! Welcome to Michaels! How may I help you?" a short woman with a squeaky voice greeted me.

"I have an interview with Mrs. Junes?" I asked as professional as I could.

"She'll be right out."