Chapter Nineteen - Exam Results and Badminton

"Alright, Missy, let's take a look at these exam results of yours," Mr Wilson said.

"Do you have to?" Katie groaned, rolling her head back to stare at the sky.

"Yes. Come on." He wiped his hands on a napkin and gestured to Katie to find her results.

Katie groaned again and reached into the pocket of her blouse, pulling out the dark brown envelope and staring at it. Part of me was glad I wouldn't have to open mine in front of Mum and Dad. If I had failed, I didn't want them to be disappointed in me for not putting in the work that I would have had I been at home. Mrs Maddox had given me a copy of my results for a reason and I didn't want it to be because I had failed them, but I couldn't stop the thought from creeping in. We were only supposed to get out results in person if our parents had turned up.

"I'm sure you did fine," I said, smiling at Katie and watching her open the envelope. She paused before taking out the paper with her results.

"We'll see."

She reached into the envelope and pulled out a small rectangular piece of paper, flipping it over before she saw the numbers written on the page. I look at her and raised an eyebrow, nudging my head towards the sheet of paper and urging her to turn over the page. Charlie huffed and rolled his eyes, clearly not happy that Katie was taking her time when it came to reading her results. I didn't blame her. Exam results were a scary thing to receive.

After a few minutes of sitting with the piece of paper on the palm of her hand, Katie took the corner of it and slowly flipped it over. Her eyes scanned across the page, running down the length of it and returning to the top to read it again. Mr and Mrs Wilson exchanged glances, but said nothing, watching Katie's eyes dart back and forth across the paper. She turned to look at me and smiled, her eyes dancing in the sunlight.

"You're my favourite person!" She dropped the paper onto the blanket and wrapped her arms around my shoulders, squeezing me tightly. My stomach bubbled and my heart rate sped up. I could feel my face glowing red.

"Care to explain?" Mr Wilson said, eyeing Katie as she untangled her arms from around my neck and picked up the sheet of paper.

"I passed. With flying colours, I might add. I don't think I've ever seen a history mark that eye on any of my results." She turned to me. "Thank you. I wouldn't have passed if you hadn't tutored me."

"You sat the exam; I just made the studying a little easier." I shrugged.

"These are impressive marks, Katie. I'm proud of you," Mr Wilson said.

"Your turn. Come on, open them. I want to know why Mrs Maddox gave you a copy and is posting them home as well."

I looked at her and pulled a face, not wanting to show her my marks if they were as bad as my mind kept telling me they were. I had planned to open the results when no one else was around so I could find out why Mrs Maddox had given me a copy rather than just send them home. Although I wanted to find out my results, I'd rather speak to Dad on the telephone and find out that way then have to open them in such a public display.

Still, Katie had opened her results and it only seemed fair that I did the same even if I felt unsure about how well I might have done. I reached into my pocket and pulled out the envelope. It had been folded and creased after spending so much time in my dress pocket, so I smoothed it out and placed it on my lap, playing with the corner of the envelope. Katie gave me the same look I had given her, and I knew I couldn't prolong opening the results any more than I wanted to.

Katie watched me slide my thumb under the back of the envelope to untick it, opening it up and grabbing the piece of paper from within. I look a breath and turned it over, my eyes scanning over the ink and taking in just what was written on the page.