chapter one: today I shot the boy I love

Today I shot the boy I love.

His name is Matt Thompson. He has a head full of black hair to his neck, caramel skin, and brown eyes that look like they've seen all time.

He was sitting on a lone bench in an abandoned site of the campus gardens.
His hands ruffling his hair, his elbow resting against the bench. He was staring at the ground in deep thought.

I was standing by the corner of the library building, not so far from him. I got my phone out of the back pocket of my jeans and opened the camera. I snap a shot of him and the camera shutters. His image forever etched in my mind, his beautiful face trained in thought, what an image to behold.

I immediately tuck my phone back when I see a red haired, tall and burly man blocking my view. Clad in a leather jacket and loose fitting dark wash jeans. His left hand is buried in his left pocket and he walks towards Matt.
The man seats himself next to Matt and trys to spark up conversation, I'm too far to get what they are saying but Matt doesn't look to happy. Clearly, Matt wasn't in the mood to converse.
Matt gets up and swings his bag over his shoulder and makes to leave. The man gets up as well and nudges Matt in the back.

All of the sudden, they're engaged in a fight.
Matt digs his foot into the man's crotch, the man falls to the ground and winces in pain.
" you little bustard!!!" He screams.
" I'll just have to put an end to you."

I see the man reaching down to the back pocket of his jeans, that rings alarm bells in my head.
Let it not be what I'm thinking, I see him point a gun at matt and I make  a range toward them.

Matt sees the gun and kicks it out of the man's hand. The gun landing a few feet away from me.
The man runs toward the gun, with shaking hands I pick it up.
" stop or I'll shoot." I quietly say with tears streaming down my face.
The man just stands there, smirking. Without warning, he lunges himself at me and I pull the trigger.

He hits my head hard and the bullet is shot at Matt.
I fall down and hit my head on a sharp rock.
I see Matt staring at me and then at the hole in his chest in shock.
Everything is happening in slow motion.
My vision blurs and I feel warmth surrounding my head.
Matt falls to the ground, the man grabs the gun and runs away.
" I'm so sorry." I whisper to Matt. Using all the energy in my body to speak.