chapter four: And thus begins the end

It's cold and wet on our five hour drive to Arizona.  My mom and i have been quiet almost all the way and barely talked from our outburst last week.

" look baby," oh no here she goes again with her sweet talk .
" I'm just trying to make sure that you're OK, I love you and wouldn't want to see you suffer anything, or suffer alone." She stops there as we near a narrow street lined heavily with trees and light fog.

" wow this place is more deserted than I thought,"
" The perfect place to dump the daughter you claim to love." I say under my breath.

I know she heard me but she doesn't press on the topic. Good because I had a whole wave of words to hurt her as much as she hurt me.

We near an iron bar gate and beyond it, I see an intimidating looking building, it's old and looks so cliche, like the mansions you see in the movies complete with gargoyles and a Romanian fountain at the center.

My heart starts beating faster and the air around me seems to get thinner and thinner as I draw in each breath, as the gate opens with a groan.

I'm starting to hyperventilate and I think it's something to do with the place, my whole body is against setting foot on this ground and thoughts of grabbing the steering wheel and driving us out of here fill my mind, but I do nothing of the sort and stare out the window instead, dew forming from my breath against the window blocking my view.

I won't like this place for sure. A midden aged man approaches the car and waits outside the drivers seat.
My mom opens the door and warmly greets the man.
When he turns to greet me, I immediately turn my head away towards the window.

" Nice to meet you miss, and welcome to Hersham academy." He says cheerily, despite my dismissal.
He gets my luggage out of the car and I remain seated, staring out the window.
Though I won't say it , I'm horrified at being so far from home and something in me just doesn't agree with me staying here.
There's more to this place than meets the eye and I don't want to find out the more.
" Topaz it's time for me to go, I knew this is hard but I'm positive this experience will be much better than you're making it out to be, I want the best for you and I'm sure you'll even make friends here daunting as it may seem,"

I don't say anything, instead I hug her, surprising us both but she tightens her grip around me and I hear her sob.
So many unsaid words in that brief moment but so much understanding as well.

I open my door and unsure of the ground I'm about to set foot on, I place both my legs firmly on the wet paves and slide out of my seat, standing to my full height and closing the door. 
I pull my beanie tighter around my head and slang my bag over both my shoulders.
My mom waves her hand and evenly drives out of the premises, leaving me facing the intimidating mansion alone.

And thus begins the end.