Lunch Time

Come on Seán where are you?

Come on,

Come on.

"Hi Tyler"

"Sean, hi glad you could meet me," I said trying not to sound nervous. "I had to ask you something."

"Oh yeah, ok I'm all ears", Seán said sitting across from me and opening a yogurt 

"So, How do you like it here?" I asked trying to break the ice before I start asking him about sea monsters and merpeople.

"It's nice I everyone treats me good, it's really fun I don't like Sabin though he is kinda rude," Sabin said seeming genuinely bothered which was weird he seemed like the laid-back can't be bothered type of guy. Guess I was a little wrong on that. 

"That's good, so umm, Sean, on your little exploration did you happen to see anything... Strange." I asked trying to conceal my nervousness.

Seán narrowed his eyes at me and I could feel myself starting to sweat. "Strange...how," He said 

"Oh, you know a new looking fish or some new rock...formation, glowing lights, things of that nature, I said, "or not nature depending on what you find," I said adding a light laugh, hopefully, I don't look as nervous as I felt. Sean stayed quiet for a second I could tell he was trying to find the right words, or he was savoring his yogurt.

"you know now that you mention it" he took another bite of yogurt "When I was out a little way away from base I saw a light." 

"A light?" I mimicked with aw. Wait did Aqua already show him the legend? " Did you find out what it was?" I asked trying not to seem too energetic about it.  Seán shook his head. "No, I got called back to base before I could find out what it was." I tried not to seem too disappointed. 

"Hey there Tyler," oh,no...no no not  Matthew he never comes here but now that I'm trying to set things up for Seán to be on our side

"Hi Matthew, how's it going, what's Mark got you working on these days," I said with the calmest voice I could muster.

"oh, you know the usual science stuff," he said with a shrug "Anyway I didn't come here to chitchat with you and the new guy, Mark wants to see you in his office." Matthew then smiled smugly which made me want to slap him.

"Ok, I'll see you around Seán have a nice rest of your day," I said on my way to the door. "And if you find out what that light was come see me in my office your level two access card should get you there"

     Once I left I almost immediately started panicking, what does Mark want? Is he gonna hurt, Seán? Is he gonna hurt me?! No, No that's absurd the worst Mark could do is fire me but even then it would hurt him more than it would hurt me. I was trying to calm myself down before I went in. Deep breaths, breath. sigh, I'm ready. As soon as I stepped into Mark's office I felt the dread wash over me. "you wanted to see me Mr.Howler"

 "Yes Tyler, I did." he said looking up from whatever was on his desk," now don't lie to me, what were you doing before I sent Mat to go find you." "Having lunch" Not necessarily a lie. "Is that all?" Mark replied looking me in the eyes. 

"No, I ended up talking with Seán for a little." Still not a lie 

 "What were you guys talking about?"

 "Just the usual stuff, how he likes the base, how everyone's treating him that sort of thing," I said calmly.

"I see well Tyler, I insist that you join Matthew and me on this project," Mark said still staring at me intently.