CHAPTER FORTY-ONE

CHAPTER FORTY-ONE

            The closet proved to be my salvation.  The constant ache in my brain was crippling me, but after a bit more frenzied exploration of the building (The depth of the halls of this place continue to astound me.) I located an extremely large industrial-sized fan.  It was rusted, but it looked functional.  After dragging it back down to my nest, I found an electrical outlet near my closet and plugged it in with little actual hope of the juice still being live in this place.

            Success!  (I'm a bit shocked-ha! get it?-that there's still power in this place, but I'm not about to look a “gift plug” in the mouth.)

            After some painfully squeaky false starts, the behemoth kicked on and the thunderous roar it generated drowned out any other sounds.  Placing it in front of my closet, shutting the door and shoving an old, wadded up scrap of fabric under the door allowed me to create a makeshift sensory deprivation chamber.  As long as I curl up in the corner and turn away from the door and cover my head with a pile of old clothes, then I can block out enough of my surroundings to allow my brain to slow down.

            This isn't exactly sleep (On some level I'm still fully conscious.), but at least my neurons are slowing down and not popping at the insane rate they were before.  I was a car being revved too high for too long, and there was no way that was going to end well.  But now?  Now I feel I have a chance of surviving this.