Chapter 10

A/N: Pretend it's Thursday... I'm sorry I was just so distracted by the fact that I get to see SHUMDARIO today!!!!!!! (Virtually, but still. It's better than I'd ever hoped tbh) Anyways... Here it is, the new chapter. Enjoy x

---------------------------------------------------------------

The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself
-Augustine of Hippo

***

They had just started to drive back to the house, when from afar, Jace heard the gunshot. His mind went racing, thinking 'not again', when they pulled up and he hurled out of the car. He didn't bother to even acknowledge Carter's presence, let alone him screaming for Jace to stop. He should've, he didn't have any weapons on him, so it was, really, foolish of him to run into the house. He didn't care, though. Simon was in there.

"Simon!?" he yelled, as soon as he stepped over the threshold into Clary's mother's house. He went past the staircase, hearing someone call them, and stepped into the corridor, facing the kitchen. Simon was on the ground, kneeling besides Jocelyn. Adam was crouching over the floor, next to what seemed to be a dead body. Jace's heart started beating frantically, he closed the distance that was separating him from his boyfriend and he fell to his knees, embracing Simon. The brunette gave a little 'humph' and was knocked back slightly, when Jace's strong arms held him tightly. His head went to the crook of Simon's neck and he exhaled. When he pulled back, his eyes went over the man, searching for any wounds, cuts or even bruises, and when he didn't find any, he pulled Simon back into a bone-crushing hug.

"Jace, I'm fine, we're all okay." Simon said, his voice muffled by Jace's shoulder. "Well, this guy ain't." Adam announced, getting back up and Jace removed himself from Simon embrace, put let his hands still linger on his boyfriends shoulders. "What happened?" he asked, eyeing the body on the ground, the pool of blood growing under their eyes. Jocelyn was now in a sitting position, her eyes wet from tears. Carter went to Adam and kneeled next to the body.

"Valentine's men. Jocelyn recognized them from her- their past. Though, why'd they want to kill her is beyond me. I thought in the least, they'd want to make her join him." Simon said, slowly getting up. Jace's arm went around his waist protectively and Simon gave him a look. "Jace, I'm fine, I told you." he said to the blonde, his eyes twinkling in slight amusement. Jace shook his head. "Never. I'm thinking I have to cuff our wrists together or something, since either one of us always seems to attract psychos wielding loaded guns." he said and Simon laughed, his hair falling to his face slightly. "Kinky." was all he said and Jace groaned. "Simon, seriously, right now?" he asked and shook his head. Simon looked around at the faces and nodded. "Right, maybe not right now." he agreed and Jace suppressed a smile.

Jocelyn seemed utterly shaken. Jace felt sorry for the woman and tried to smile at her. "Are you alright? Did they hurt you?" he asked and the redhaired woman stared up at him. "Jace? What are you- How are you here?" she asked, confusion masking her features. Right, he was not supposed to be here. She eyed the two and then noticed the arm around Simon. She glanced to the kitchen, where Adam and Carter were engrossed in a conversation. "Aren't you with-" Jocelyn asked, nodding towards the exotic looking agent. Jace made a face and an undignified noise, but Simon's hand squeezed his. "It was a cover up. I'm sorry, Jocelyn, I didn't want to lie to you, but it was for your own safety... Not that we managed to live up to that, anyways..." Simon trailed off and Jocelyn's eyes seemed to soften.

"It's not your fault. I was afraid he might come after me at some point. Even Luke knew. He has been, um, keeping an eye on me." she said and Jace saw that Jocelyn was blushing. He narrowed his eyes and smiled slightly, when Simon looked at her in surprise. "Keeping an eye on you?" he repeated and Jocelyn rubbed her arms, feeling embarrassed apparently. Jace chuckled. "Right, smart move, involving a police officer. But where is he?" Jace asked and Jocelyn cleared her throat. "Well, he was called into work. I mean, it's not like he can watch me 24/7." she said, seemingly still slightly embarrassed. Simon eyed her and Jace pulled his boyfriend into the kitchen. "Do you think they-" he started but Jace cut him off. "Yes. But we have more pressing matters, Simon." he said with a harshness in his tone. Simon seemed startled and he stared at Jocelyn, who was on the phone now, probably with Luke. Jace would've laughed, if it weren't for the (yet another) near death experience involving his boyfriend.