Chapter 2: I will always be there

I awoke the next day, by myself. I had always found a way to sneak into Germany’s room to fall asleep. I always felt so protected when I slept in his room. No one could ever hurt me there.

After what happened the night before I thought it would be kind of awkward to sleep there. I was unsure if things would completely change after this or if we would just go on the same way we always have. I didn’t really care. I only cared that he was ok.

For the first time in a long time I had not had one of those dreams. I doubted they would end but I was happy they weren’t there, if only for one night. I opened the door to my room to smell the scent of food drift into my nostrils. What was that scent?

“Good morning, Itary.” Japan told me, lifting his face up from the food he was making.

“That smells wonderful, Japan!” I said happily, waving my arms.

“Arigatou. Breakfast will be ready soon.” he finished, turning his gaze back to the open pot on the stove.

“Ve, ok!” 

I turned from the kitchen to decide what I was going to do while I waited. Maybe I could watch something on TV. I turned on the TV set to the news to see what was going on with the rest of the world. 

I smiled as I saw some of the faces of the countries I knew. I’ve always loved the meetings. They were all so much fun to be around. They always made me feel happy. Happy that I belonged and were one of them.

That was when I saw the many catastrophes that were occurring around the world. Not only was the war going on but so were earthquakes, landslides, tsunamis. So many things that can destroy our world. All of this talk of death was starting to make me sad. I couldn’t do anything about it.

“You okay, Italy? Did you have one of zhose nightmares again?” asked Germany.

“No, I’m ok~” I answered.

I walked over to the table, seeing Japan pouring soup into the bowls and placing one bowl in front of each of us. I sat down on the wooden chair, examining my breakfast. I picked up a spoon and swallowed a big spoonful of the soup. I sighed in relief as I continued to eat until it was all gone.

“You always make such good food, Japan.” I praised him.

“Arigatou, I’m glad you rike it.” he smiled.

I went over to the TV and turned it off. I wasn’t in the mood now to hear all this sad stuff. I needed to be happy. I am happy. 

“You have zhe day off today. I have a meeting zhat is very important.” Germany explained, standing up from the table. 

“Ok. We wait for you here.” Japan answered.