18.1- A Town of Death and a City of Gold

Dr Chiasa could barely stand and Tsubasa wasn't much better off. The moment he saw her broken skin, he dropped down to the ground, eyes fixed on the bruises. Tayo clambered up his back and nuzzled his cheek as the boy shivered. The grass rustled with the wind and I shifted around, looking for any sign of the swordsmen. Who knew what a racket the spell had made? We should get out of here.

The others must've thought the same. Ahio and Maya held Dr Chiasa steady while Daisuke and I helped Tsubasa up. A glance at his compass later, Daisuke guided us toward the river. I kept one hand wrapped around a knife. If she came back and threw another net over me, I would rip it apart.

The rushing sound grew louder with every step. Before long, the river spread out before us, the other end blending into the night sky. Stars glinted back on its surface, rippling with its current. It had to be a hundred meters across at least. And after that, Mori Chuo's province. I gulped. This wasn't going to be pleasant.

The other two stood on their own now and helped us shove our possessions into waterproof bags. I'd hoped to never use them back when I first bought the standard swordsmen tool kit. While we stripped down to our underwear, Tsubasa bandaged Dr Chiasa's wounds, mumbling an apology with every breath though she reassured him each time. Daisuke tore up one of the bags and handed them to the other boy. That'd keep the water from soaking into the wounds.

Ahio jumped in first, splashing across the river faster than I ever could.

The first step raised goosebumps on my skin. With a deep breath, I dove in, water clouding my vision. The current pulled me off to my left, but I thrusted my limbs against it, keeping sight of the shore whenever I came up to breathe. Here and there, I could see the others, their bodies hitting onto mine on the way.

A few minutes later, I clambered onto the shore, shivering as the wind bit into me. Maya was out too, putting on her clothes while Ahio was already dressed, his hair hanging limply over his eyes. I helped Daisuke up before I took out my bag. Tayo came out next, giving us a mini shower with a shake of its fur, then Tsubasa, and finally, Dr Chiasa.

As we set up camp, a little light broke through the darkness on the other side of the river. I smiled and a rush of triumph ran through my veins. For now, we were safe.

 For now, we were safe

June 21. Fourteen going on fifteen years old. Saishuu Riku.

For the first time in days, there were houses on the horizon. Dilapidated red roofs struck out from the cloudy sky, signalling a village close by. Sure enough, a row of white stones spanned across the grassy meadow.

'Should we go around it?' I turned to Dr Chiasa. But then again, we weren't in Heikisato's territory anymore, so we were unlikely to be caught. Mori Chuo, the city of lumber, wasn't known for its swordsmen. And Minister Banji wouldn't want to publicize the search too much. I hoped.

Dr Chiasa's expression darkened as she gazed at the buildings ahead. 'Not this one, no one comes through here. We should be safe.'

'Sakashi,' said Daisuke, skimming across a book. 'It says it used to be a middleman to a gem trade from Genkoushi territory. Used to? What...oh! There was a disaster— it doesn't say what— and no one lives there now.'