prologue

If it wasn't for his urge to eat a sudden early morning snack, Mark would have never walked into this.

This being the sight of the Lee mansion's personal chef, lying on the cold tile floor of the kitchen, a knife placed delicately beside him.

He was bloodied, and evidently, dead.

Mark stood there, mouth wide in shock as he stared at the body. When he finally came back to reality, minutes had already passed and that was when Mark finally remembered to move.

His mother came a few minutes after his call, letting out an absolutely bloodcurdling scream- loud enough to wake every single resident of the Lee mansion- after seeing the body.

Naturally, it was only reasonable that the rest of the residents all poke their heads out of their respective rooms and make their way down to where the commotion was coming from. Mark mentally apologized on behalf of his mother for ruining their fine tuesday mornings.

There were shocked gasps, hushed whispers, and murmured conversation before Mark's father finally made his entrance, silencing everyone at once.

"There is nothing to worry about. I will ask the police to investigate this. For now, all of you may go back to bed," he said.

A number of residents turned, no longer taking interest in the commotion of their half-asleep state.

"There's a note there!" someone called, making all the heads turn back around.

Mark walked towards the body to pick it up.

A single playing card was slipped in between the victim's fingers, intricate detailing carved onto the backing. Mark wasn't sure why it was placed in the scene of a murder.

Flipping it over, he noticed one phrase scribbled onto the back of the card in neatly printed cursive.

complete the task or you're next