level one

Tuesday

Tuesday.

Renjun wasn't with the rest of the residents when the body was found in the kitchen that day. He had woken up far before Mrs. Lee's scream was heard.

It was mail day, and Renjun needed to get down in time to collect his letters along with the various packages directed to the other residents.

The boy made his way down the grand staircase, already dressed in his everyday outfit. Beret, black jeans, and a comfortable white blouse— too oversized for his small frame and slightly stained with colourful paint, but Renjun loved it nonetheless.

His pocket watch ticked away in his hand. Six o'clock. Renjun didn't bother displaying it over top of his outfit. The small golden device looked far too ancient for anyone living in the twenty-first century. Aside from that, the design engraved onto the back of the watch looked oddly similar to that of the Lee family crest. Renjun wasn't trying to get called out for it. After all, he hated anything to do with unwanted attention.

The large oak doors opened for him and he made his way through the front garden down to the large gate to wait for the mailman.

"Kun!" the boy called as a figure made its way towards the gate.

"Hello there, Mr. Huang," the figure answered when he was close enough to see his face.

A smiling man, looking not much older than Renjun himself appeared, chestnut messenger bag draped over one shoulder.

"You need to stop calling me that. It's too fancy." Renjun said, face scrunched up in mock disgust.

Kun laughed. "Says the boy who literally lives and works at a mansion," he joked.

Renjun groaned, unable to deny the fact.

"Any letters?"

Kun nodded and took out a large pile of envelopes, bound together by a faded red elastic.

"Yours is at the top so that you won't have to go through the whole pile looking for it," Kun said, pointing towards the first letter in the pile.

Renjun smiled. "Thanks."

"Oh! I have something else for you," Kun said, opening his messenger bag once again.

He pulled out a mini glass figurine, no longer than half of Renjun's pinkie.

"It's moomin!" Renjun exclaimed.

Kun chuckled. "Yeah, I thought of you when I saw it and had to get it."

"It's beautiful, thank you!"

"No problem. I'll be on my way now. I still have a lot of mail to deliver," Kun said, patting his bag.

Renjun nodded. "Yeah, I should get back too."

Kun smiled. "I'll see you next week."

Renjun waved and watched as Kun began to walk back down the sidewalk.