Chapter 3

Of course when you have a good day, the next is the worst........

I woke up to NightMan on my face. I pushed him off and slowly began to stand. I walked into the living room and flung myself on the couch. I turned the TV on to the news chanel. We may be poor, but that doesn't mean we can't afforded basic cable. I watched the news for a few minutes, nothing interesting happened. It's going to start getting below freezing this week, and there's a snowstorm coming. Nothing big happened or is going to happen in this small Ohio town. So I went back to my room to get dressed. I just threw on some leggings and a simple shirt that said peace on it. I grabbed my fuzzy black jacked and headed out the door.

"Where you think your going, young lady?" My mom's horrible voice said.

"To grandma's because it's Saturday. Like you care." I quickly shut the door before she could respond. I headed down the street to the 7/11 at the corner. What? I wanted a donut. After I got my donut, I headed to my grandma's.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When I got there, I just walked through the garage. She had one of those password things. "Grandma! I'm here." I yelled, throwing my donut bag away. She didn't respond, which was strange. She was always here, she didn't have anything else to do. "Grandma?" I yelled once more. No responds. I walked back into her room. Nope, not there. I checked all over the house, which didn't take long since it was a small house. When I didn't find her, I just sat on the couch. I flipped the TV on and just sat there watching it. I had nothing better to do.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was just about to dose off when grandma got home. She came in through the garage door, setting her stuff down on the kitchen counter.

"Oh, hey there, Jess." She said, but something wasn't right. Her words didn't have that same old-lady happiness that they always held. I could tell that something was wrong just by looking at her. I could see it in her eyes. Don't ask how, I don't even know. It's like how you can tell something is wrong about someone just because you're so close to them and know practically everything about them. If you know what I mean.

"What's wrong, grandma?" I said, standing up and walking over to her.

See looked at me, her eyes got sadder, if that's even possible. I could see tears forming in her eyes. Shit! I thought. She NEVER cries. The last time she cried was when......... when.... Shit! This isn't good. It was when she first found out she had cancer.

"It's back," was all she said. But that's all it took for me to know what she meant. I wrapped my arms around her in a tight hug as she began to cry on my shoulder. The last time she had cancer, wasn't good. It stared in her liver and slowly started to spread. It took a lot of chemo, pills, surgery, and strength for it to go away. But I knew it was never really gone. I knew it was just hiding, waiting. Waiting to come back and just ruin my life once more.

"It's okay." I tried to sooth, "we'll get through this, together. You can do this, you've done it before."

She pulled back and stared to shake her tear-stained face. "No," she mumbled. "No, this time it's not going away. This time it can't go away. This time it's spreading a lot quicker."