Chapter 30 - Plans and Hesitations

Greg and Susan sat together that evening for supper, and everyone else filled in around them in a more or less open seating arrangement. Prayers were said, and over dinner the topic of discussion turned to the activities that were planned for their four remaining days at the mission.

"Is everyone joining us for our Jeep excursion tomorrow?" John asked as pie was served at the end of their meal.

"We are," Susan informed him. "My boys, Jessie and me. I think Greg is going too?"

"I am," Greg assured her.

"My boys and I are too," Julie said. "Alan?"

"Yes, definitely," Alan said.

"Count us in, John," Henry Wilson told his son.

"Where exactly are you going?" Richard asked.

"We're going to look at some unique land formations," John explained. "There are also some caves with native cave art in them in the area which are rather interesting. We plan to visit them too."

"I'd like to go, Richard," Marion told him.

"You would? These are probably wild caves Marion. There won't be any gift shops there," he cautioned his wife.

"That's okay. I can shop in Sydney after we get back. This sounds something like a museum, except in a natural place," she said.

"It is, actually," John said.

"Is it a long walk to get there?" Marion asked curiously.

"Depending on which ones we visit, some are quite a hike from where we'll need to park the Jeeps," John said. "Our drivers will take us as close as we can, but we'll probably have to walk a mile or two on foot to get there and back."

"It sounds fascinating, John. Esther and I will go," Rabbi Goldman told him.

"I will too," Rabbi Sloane said.

Everyone looked at Richard who studied his wife in surprise. "I guess we're going too. I suppose we should leave early in the morning, while it's still cool?"

"That is a very good idea," John said. "Everyone needs to take care to dress appropriately for the weather and the terrain, including in heavy duty foot wear."

"We will," Julie assured him as she rose to begin clearing up after dessert.

Karen rose to help her as all the women did, while the men and some of the children began to drift towards the door.

"John, I think we need to turn in early," Karen remarked when she returned to see him still sitting at the table.

"I will, but I'd like to speak with Greg and Susan first, before we turn in," John said as the dining room began to clear out.

Everyone else had said their goodnights, intent on getting a good night's rest in anticipation of their excursion the next day. Amazingly, even Jessie seemed happy to walk to the tents with the boys, and promised to wait for Susan there.

"You wanted to speak to us, John?" Greg asked, as he and Susan waited behind after everyone else left.

"Yes. I've been talking with your friend David today. I wanted to let you know, we'd both like to offer you our services in conducting your wedding ceremony for you come January first," John said. "That is, if you are agreeable to the idea."

"I am, most definitely," Greg agreed, looking to Susan.

"I am too ... but shouldn't we be speaking to both of you if you want to talk about the wedding, John?" Susan asked.