chapter 26

26

This time when Joe awoke he was lying on the hard cement floor, using his arm as a pillow, Tom splayed next to him, breathing steadily, having come out of his unconscious state the previous day (or was it the same day). Joe stood up and slowly walked toward the bars that were locking him in this place. He knew he wouldn't get food. Or water. And that h would die here—they both would—die and suffer here. Joe saw three guards walking passed dressed in black and armed with machine guns. He turned around and looked at the wall, seeing a small pattern of blood dotted across it, and he couldn't help but wonder what the hell had gone on here before they had had the privilege to be confined in this place as a form of torture. He walked to the wall and pressed his hand against it, caressing the small, crude marks that were engraved upon the cement from previous people who had been kidnapped and brought here. Before the outbreak, this must've been a jail. But now it was the sadistic playing grounds of some religious killer.

Joe was starting to go crazy—he could actually feel it building up in his system as if he were holding his breath. He figured that soon he would snap and if this crazy came to his fucking senses, than Joe would grab him, kill him, and escape out of this place with Tom. He looked at Tom and felt bad for him. Tom splayed across the ground, dark blood having dried on the side of his head, his clothes ripped and torn, smeared in dirt and streaked in filth. Joe knelt down beside his friend as he slept. Joe knew they had to get out. They had already lost too much.

They weren't gonna lose each other as well.