I Dream Of Summers That Last Forever

My name is Summer.

And that's pretty ironic since I hate summer.

I died last summer.

But I'm still around, I don't know why, but I am.

Seeing how my death impacted the people around me is worse than not being able to talk to anymore.

"Who's ready to hit the road?" Peter smiles.

Every year since we were sixteen, the five of us travelled in Peter's rusty blue van up the coast to Simon's beach house.

This time, there were only four physical bodies in the van and a spirit who can't reach them.

"Hurry up! Let's get there so we can watch the sunset." Casey whines.

"Relax babe," Simon says as he wraps an arm around her.

They've been dating for three years, as far as I know, they're still going strong even with a long-distance relationship.

But I know what Simon did last summer.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

They've managed to stay friends, even if they're scattered across the country.

Peter is attending college back at home, so I at least have someone.

I can't wander far from the van, so I mainly hang out at Peter's house. They facetime a lot, especially for comfort. It comforts me, knowing how they're going in life.

"Peter, change the station, this music sucks!" Simon whines, pushing his sleeping girlfriend off his shoulder only for her to fall onto him again.

"There's nothing on, I'll play a CD instead."

"Oi, let her sleep!" Adam hisses.

"She's heavy." He shoves her off.

"Mate, she's your girlfriend." Adam snaps a picture with his phone. "Oh, this is cute, I'll post it."

"Delete it."

"Nah."

"Stop arguing you're, going to wake her up!" Peter hisses, turning around.

"Peter watch the road!" I yell.

They can't hear me.

"You woke me up!" Casey growls, hitting Simon with her pillow.

"Stop hitting me!"

"You're the closest."

The bickering stops as a song starts playing. They silently stare at the front passenger seat.

My seat.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Peter, stop clowning around and focus," I growled.

"I can't believe you did that, why would you do that?"

"I was five, I thought it would work. You can't talk, remember what you did in first grade." I ridiculed.

He stopped laughing and looked me dead in the face. "Don't."

"We need to finish this before the road trip," I said as I moved the mic.

"Ready?" He picked up his guitar.

I nodded as he started playing.

"You've got a friend in me." I sing.