Chapter 14

2 and a half years later

It's been almost three since I last saw my birdie. I had lost consciousness after our fight in the carriage and woke up when Dallan opened the carriage's door. The last thing I remember is him telling me about his origins, but he did it in a way that made me think he didn't care about me finding out so I don't understand why he disappeared after it. He never contacted me again. I know he might just be doing what I told him to do, but wouldn't he keep me updated if that was the case. I'm not sure if I'm calm or furious, or am I just back to where I started. 

Nothing too special has happened after he left. That insect is still bothering me but she tries to make me do the first moves so I haven't had to get rid of her yet. To keep her quiet, I have to send her letters every now and then, but we don't meet up that often and even when we do, it's with a bigger group.

I meet my "friends" sometimes to collect information, some openly and some in the dark. We haven't been able to meet recently though because a new semester is starting soon. I'll start attending Alcaria's light like my siblings, but luckily, they are in the higher division so we won't even be in the same building. Clara is the only one of my "friends" who is in the lower division with me, and even she will be with me only for a year.

Although Felicia will also attend the higher division, we'll still see each other. She has proven to be useful like I predicted during our first meeting. It's almost strange how much influence a sixteen-year-old girl has, and based on our conversations most of it doesn't even have anything to do with the fact that she is the marquess's daughter. Thanks to her, I have some connections in case something unexpected happens when I'm alone. For example, I accidentally crush a bug and need someone to clean it up.

***

I had a bright fake smile on my face when I woke up. Today is the day when I'll leave home for six years to attend the academy. I can't really say that I'm sad or excited, maybe I'm a bit relieved I don't have to keep smiling. Believe it or not, cheeks get cramps. I got ready while thinking about my future plans.

My plan is to fade into the background as much as possible and handle everything in the shadows. My priority is to stop the war with demons and if it's not possible, then stay out of it. I heard few days ago about a girl who has light magic like me. I think she could become a useful pawn for me. I did a bit investigating and found out that she is an illegitimate child between a baron, and a noble who was banished from her kingdom. Some one with parents like that should be easy to manipulate. A few smiles and happy accidents, and she'll think she's a goddess or something. The best way to get the king to notice her is by making her get mixed up with his son and other high nobles.

I get ready for the day with Dallan's help. He looks like he is enjoying my departure a little too much but I don't mind because this is hopefully our last meeting. I might even be a little lonely at the thought of never seeing his sarcastic smile again, but I know my feelings aren't mutual. He must be planning how to get rid of my mother this very second so he could have my father all to himself. 

"Good bye, young master", Dallan says as he leaves me alone with my parents so he could put my luggage into the carriage. I swear I heard him mumble 'I hope we never meet again' under his breath, but that could have been my imagination.

"I-I will miss you so much, dear. Remember to send letters and visit as often as you can", my mother says trying not to cry. Father hugs her and nods at me which means I can leave. I can see tears in his eyes as I turn to enter the carriage. My act as a normal innocent child seems to have worked during these years.

I wave at them as the gentle smile on my face starts to disappear. It's completely gone by the time they can't see me anymore. My face is now vacant of any emotions just like my mind, but for some reason, my face feels wet.

***

I arrived at the academy a day early so I could unpack and get used to life there. The place was huge. There were two different buildings for teaching and multiple for living, and the whole place was surrounded by pink flower trees. 

"Are you Asriel di Lucius Wintermore?" someone wearing the academy's uniform asked me as I stepped out of the carriage. He looked older than me and was most likely part of the student council.

"Yes", I answered him. For the first time since I was maybe five, I talked to someone other than  Zander without smiling. I could get used to this.

The boy nodded and led me to my new room. For the sake of fairness, the room was identical to other rooms. Every student got the same treatment despite their differences in status. Commoners had to share their rooms with four people, but considering where they came from, it was an improvement.

Some maids had brought my luggage there earlier but I had to unpack by myself. This academy had a very particular rule that no one could bring their servant unless the servant entered as a student. Most nobles complained about it but it had no impact. The academy has so much power and influence that I doubt even the royal family can do anything against it.

I didn't mind not having servants because it meant more freedom to me, and if it got too difficult to live without assistance, I'm sure I could get other students to help me. One can never be too prepared so I have done some investigating on a lot of people, and when I say investigating, I mean digging up some dirt. That girl Annalyn isn't the only one who'll make a good pawn.

Although smiling can be annoying, it is a good tool in getting people to trust you. Well, smiling pared up with my cute appearance. Zander used to call me cute or adorable every time he saw me so it must be true. I, myself, don't really understand the concept of cuteness or beauty or any of those things that have something to do with one's appearance. I do get how someone's temperament can affect how others perceive them though. Like Clara and Felicity. Sweet and cold. 

I got everything ready quite fast considering it was my first time. After it, I went to look for my first pawn who would become a crucial part in getting information about everything going on around the academy. What shall I use? Embezzlement, fraud, kidnapping or the abused little brother. Ah, so many choices and he's not even the worst one. Sometimes it's hard to believe how dirty the human mind is. Everyone knows that with power comes corruption, but most of the commoner families I investigated about had done similar and sometimes even worse things. It just shows how we are all the same, dirty.

It took a long time for me to come up with what to write. I wrote this chapter for three days and it wasn't even that long xdd. Anyways, hope you liked it <3

~AzureAngel