The old man

(So i wanted to try something. I heard this song the other day and i thought it would fit perfectly in the story. You can listen to it if you would like but you don't have to. I will let you know when to play it :) i also saw this idea in other stories on wattpad and wanted to try it out) https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r3lOLPIoWLM )

June 31st, 1756

The day was bright and warm. The sun beat down, turning the air humid. The morning was bustling with life. Men strolled through the town, their frock coats bristling in the wind. Women chatted amongst themselves, the more fashionable cooling themselves off with folded fans. A man walked briskly down the street. He held a cane, slightly limping. The old man had a fringe of grey-white hair around his balding, mottled scalp. He had a wizened face and a back slightly hunched. His beard was a silver river, cascading down his chin. With each movement there was the creak of old bones. He had the resigned look of one who knows that at his age life has stopped giving and only takes away. He clenched the stark white flowers tightly in his hand, the petals gently waving in the wind. A small tear threatened to fall from the man's eye. Today was the worst day of his life. It was the anniversary of the day he had lost his one true love. As he hobbled to the town cemetery, his heart clenched with grief. It had been a little over a year since that tragic day. Where his everything was stripped from him in a single moment. He sauntered into the cemetery, the metal gate shrieking in protest. He slowly walked inside, a vast ocean of tombstones laying before him. He limped past them, his eyes set on one in the back. It was colored a bright white, standing out against the blanket of grey. He gently knelt down in front of it, smiling sadly as he softly spoke.

"Hi honey. It's been awhile. Sorry i haven't visited. I've been busy moving our old stuff into the new house. You would love it. It has a perfect view of the yard. I know how much you loved nature......I miss you. I never stopped thinking about you, not even for an instance.....and it hurts. It feels like my soul is breaking. And i miss you so much. I miss how you would crinkle your nose up when i did something ridiculous. I miss the way you would smile just enough to show your sparkling teeth. The way you would roll your eyes at my antics. But most of all...I miss your voice. I miss the way you laughed. The way it rang through the air. I especially miss when you sang. Sometimes...I feel like i can hear you. Singing that song from long ago. When we first fell in love. The same song that was played at your grave..." (Play song)

Very gently, the man started singing.

🎶

Dark the stars and dark the moon,

Hush the night and the morning loon,

Tell the horses and beat on your drum,

Gone their master, gone their son,

Dark the oceans, dark the sky,

Hush the whales and the ocean tide,

Tell the salt marsh and beat on your drum,

Gone their master, gone their son,

Dark to light and light to dark,

Three black carriages, three white carts,

What brings us together is what pulls us apart,

Gone our brother, gone our heart.

Hush the whales and the ocean tide,