Chapter 1

Don't tread on me! So be it, threaten no more, to secure peace is, to prepare for war! Metallica blasted through my headphones. It was one of those things that severely calms me down.

My dad and I got into it this morning. He kept saying, "You're to young to be going to parties of any kind!" Yes dad, well I'm 17. I'm perfectly fine, and capable of taking care of myself. I know not to get drunk and high, and run off with some random stranger. I was brought up the right way.

But all of this started when my mom had passed this past year. Dad was having a really hard time with it all, I kind of knew she wasn't going to make it. Cancer is a real bitch you know. Mom lost her hair due to chemo therapy. She died later on. I always said, the chemo did it. She was perfectly fine without it, but the doctors insisted. So she did so. Her hair made her like Samson. She was the strongest woman I had ever met, and Delilah was chemo. It pained me when she died, she was my best friend, the besterest friend that anyone could ask for.

And currently I was walking to school. Gracie my best friend normally met me on the way, but she's been sick. She gets sick as if she were breathing... so basically she gets sick super easily. I always feel so bad when she does, because what feels like a cold for us, feels like the verge of death for her.

The grey dull building came into view as I slowed to a steady walk. Normally I was pretty early, so I paced myself today. I started to sing along to Don't Tread On Me, just because it's a freaking awesome song, and I loved Metallica, it was my favorite band ever. Mostly because my older brother Orion (Named after a Metallica song), loved Metallica, and how could you not? My younger brother Jordan (Named after a Buckethead song), he likes Metallica but he's more of an Asking Alexandria, or Bullet for My Valentine fan.

And then there's me, Maryjane (I'm named after a Megadeth song), and my parents were droogies or gigantic Megadeth fans. They weren't druggies, they might've tried it, but it made me wonder if mom had been able to smoke marijuana if it could've one day saved her.

I walked up the steps to the school, and walked past the office. A crowd of girls were standing by it which I thought was very unusual, because normally the girls that were standing by the office were off skipping class with their jock boyfriends, or caking on makeup in the newly remodeled bathroom. I ignored their presence as I walked to my locker, getting ready for art first period. It was the best class ever. Well that and choir. Mr. Thruman let's us listen to music all the time. Well not on our own devices, but he has a rock station on his small radio. He loves music, it helps with drawing to me, and he agrees completely.

His familiar class room came into view as I walked inside it, the tired old man scratching away on an art board. His classroom was like my home away from home. He had his drawings and scratch work everywhere. My favorite one, or one of the thousands of favorites he's made was one that looked like a skeleton, kind of like Eddie the mascot of Iron Maiden. Mr. Thruman didn't even have to turn around to know it was me. "Hey Mary how's your morning?" He's also the only teacher I willingly love to talk to, and he helps me out a lot.

I sighed real big and sat down in the chair adjacent to his scratch board, "My dad's been treating me like an absolute child, he won't let me go to any parties, even though I know what's right and wrong..."

He gave me that warm fatherly smile, that one that's like I know exactly what your saying. "When I was your age.. my father was the same way." I pulled my sleeves to my palms and rested my chin on them. "He didn't want me to do anything that had to do with parties, drinking, drugs. He felt that since he did it, that I would follow in his footsteps."

"So what did you do?" I asked, curiosity plaguing my current mood.

He smiled again, "I was a rebel.." I smiled at this thought, when he suddenly said, "That doesn't mean go out and be like me." He warned.