𝟚𝟝.

"Amelia

"Amelia..."

"Just take me to the bathroom." I give her a stern look when she pleads with me, "please, Jamie, it's just my—" Her face twinges in pain and I don't know much about womanly problems but, in all my years of knowing Amelia, this has never happened.

"No, Amelia, I'm taking you to the emergency room." She looks at me in mortification.

"You can't." Her face tightens again. "Not over stupid fucking period cramps. It's just really bad cramps. That's all it is. Please, just take me to the bathroom so I can clean myself up and take care of this. This is so embarrassing—" She winces again.

"I'll take you to the bathroom to clean up but you've never had cramps like this before." I carry her body weight with one arm just a bit more down the hallway until we've reached two sets of bathroom doors; one for men and one for women. I don't think twice before opening the door and carrying her inside.

"Jamie! You can't be—" She chokes on a painful noise before she nearly doubles over. I look down, seeing more red trickle down her legs feeling a cold sensation spread throughout my chest. I might be a man but I'm not stupid. I have an idea what's happening right now but I don't say anything to her as I help her to the toilet. She insists I turn around and I do. I keep my back turned even when I hear an audible gasp.

After a few moments I say, "Amelia, I think we should go to the emergency room." She doesn't say anything. "Amelia?" I turn around once I hear the toilet flush. She's staring at the toilet with a hand clutched to her stomach. She manages to stumble over to the sink where she begins washing her hands. "Amelia?"

"I'm fine." She mutters out, as she begins washing her hands. "I'm fine." I look at her reflection in the mirror and she looks anything but fine.

"When was your last—"

"I don't know." She's now scrubbing her hands vigorously as tears begin to flow down her face. "I—" She looks like she's going over it in her head. "Six or seven weeks ago." I begin to do the math in my head but don't say anything.

"Amelia, stop." I walk up behind her and shut the faucet off. I place both on my hands on hers before she lets out another painful noise, this time accompanied with a cry.

"Jamie—" She sobs and then clutches her stomach again. If it was out of pain or fear I don't know. I turn her body around in my arms and hug her tightly to me. "Jamie, I—" She sobs into my chest.

"I know, love." I kiss the top of her head. "I know."

✩✩✩

About an hour later we'd made it to the emergency room. We'd filled out the proper paperwork and after a bit of a wait we were finally seen. After a review of her medical history and a few tests our mutual fear was confirmed.