Prologue

---

Black.

The color of rebellion.

They say black emblematizes youth rebellion. Reckless. Juvenile. Mutinous. But it in my perspective, doesn't depict rebellion like how they say it is. I was never fond of black. The color reminds me of the town's situation. Dark. Unjust. Remorseless.

Would there be poor if there is no elite? Nor would there be elite if there is no one we can call poor? Would unfairness exist if there is no class in the society?

For countless times I have dreamed of setting the Municipal hall on fire. I have visioned slapping any government official just so I could knock some sense on them. The mere thought of those angers me more.

Nagising na lang ako sa katotohanang...hindi bilog ang mundo... Hindi pantay... Hindi umiikot...

Glory to the elites and let the poor bemoan.

"As an elite, you act too low."

"Quit being a disgrace."

"Is this your way to get my attention? What are you? A kid? Stop playing Irina."

I was born with lots of responsibilities. When you're a child from someone in a high position, everybody had their expectations.

I should do great. Be perfect if I can. Be the obedient daughter that every elite patriarch wishes. But I can never be one. Especially that I have seen how poor people were treated unfairly.

There was no proper conversation whenever I'm in home. My father always says that maybe its my way to get his attention. That I can NEVER get his attention. I can never get his attention? Then why does he knew all of my protestations? Patawa.

"Irina nakarating ba sayo ang balita? Someone powerful will visit the town."

If someone powerful will visit the town it will only mean one thing. Additional wealth for the elites. Whatever gift or investment the town may receive, only the elites will enjoy its luxury. Anong makukuha ng mga taong nasa kabila? Nearly expired relief goods na hindi kinakain ng mga elites at binabalak itapon.

"Gather them."

Father never failed to remind me how privileged I am and that I should be grateful. Should you be happy for having something you never wished in the first place?

"WE HAVE LIVES! JUNK THE SOCIAL CLASS SYSTEM! "

We kept on shouting as the white van keeps nearing towards the entrance of municipal hall. Holding the megaphone, mas nilakasan ko pa ang boses ko nang makitang lalabas na ang sinumang nasa loob ng sasakyan.

All of our jaw dropped when it's the president who appeared from the vehicle.

GAGO?!! Anong ginagawa nito dito?

Mas lalong naging agresibo ang mga kasama ko nang makitang ang presidente ang taong pinipigilan namin makipagnegotiate. Is he here to help? I doubt it. Everyone who visits here has one agenda. To impress the town's elites. Kung ano ang dahilan, iyon ang hindi ko alam.

I have witnessed how powerful people around the globe visits the town just to give gifts that'll surely please the elites. It's a mystery to me why they wanted to be in good graces with them. Are elites that powerful?

I was about to climb towards the platform we prepared and continue shouting when someone pushed me.

YAWA.

The chaos suddenly stopped followed by the noise disappearance. Ang natira? All the attention was on me as they focused on the accident that I created.

Who wouldn't?

Natamaan ko ng megaphone ang ulo ng presidente.

---

Shanaya