𝟷𝟻| 𝙲𝚑𝚛𝚒𝚜𝚝𝚒𝚊𝚗

I felt the panic fabricating in the deep pits of my stomach as I watched Eden flounder out of the common room doors, Nolan hot on her heels

I felt the panic fabricating in the deep pits of my stomach as I watched Eden flounder out of the common room doors, Nolan hot on her heels. It was times like this that I was grateful that Nolan was as kind as he was. Without even knowing Eden fully, he worried about her well-being. I saw Ashley shake off the situation and went back to handing out cupcakes, grimacing when some people refused.

Caleb sauntered off after our argument, and I couldn't find it in me to care. Being back at this place, in this environment, brought on a surge of indignation. I didn't wanna fucking be a coach in the first place. Dad agreed to pay for my trip to London if I considered being a coach. He didn't even give me a chance to decide before he introduced me as one. And I hated when people made my decisions for me.

Charlie placed a hand on my arm and murmured, "you're allowed to smile, ya know."

Shrugging, I responded with, "I don't wanna be part of this and you fucking know it. That you guys are already making plans for me to stay permanently pisses me the fuck-"

"Calm down, Mr Personality," she buzzed and patted the arm she was holding. "Don't make me the villain here. If you don't wanna stay, then I'm not going to force you. You know that I only want what's best for you and if that best isn't with the LaCroix Fury - well, boohoo. Who gives a fuck?"

"Dad gives a fuck," I informed her and grimaced when watching the man in question converse with the new team. "He gives two fucks, actually." This wasn't a discussion I wanted to have again. All I wanted to do was check on Eden. The idea of her in any discomfort made me want to punch through a fucking wall. I was the reason she was here, so any discomfort she suffered would be my fault. "I need to find Eden."

I excused myself and shouldered past people, needing to get out of the room because it felt smothering. But then I felt another hand on my arm. Twisting around, I was met with the tender grin of Dad. There was concern etched into his features, but his smile cloaked it. He thought I was going to leave.

Before I could even blink, he hauled me into a hug and clapped me on my back. I returned the embrace stiffly, in a way that a robot would when you put it into an affectionate situation. "It's good to have you back, my boy."

Not wanting to get his hopes up, I merely answered, "it's good to be back, Dad." Some concern left his eyes. Gazing at him only reminded me of how he reacted to what happened two years ago. He must've been hoping I was here to fix things.

But I wasn't, not really. The thought of coaching a sport that caused me so much grief made me nauseated. As much as I loved soccer, I could never fully enjoy it - not when I was here and I could still see some disappointment in Dad's facial features. But I wasn't coming back, not for good, anyway. I was here to provide comfort for Eden. She was here because of me. When she left this place - so did I. I was headed back to school and I'd be able to play soccer without feeling like shit.