Chapter 1 - Drifting With The Tide

Dean POV

Here we go again.

I looked back towards the Impala and waved back to my little brother Sammy who enthusiastically waved back. How could that kid be so excited about school?

Dad drove off and I looked back towards the school. First days were always the worst.

-

"Class, say hello to our new student, Dean Winchester. Dean, is there anything you'd like to tell us about yourself?"

"Not really, sweetheart."

"Take your seat. It's down the back, right behind Miss Bradbury. Charlie, could you raise your hand?"

A redheaded girl in a Lord of the Rings t-shirt raised her hand with a smile. I forced a smile and walked slowly to my seat, sitting down.

The girl turned around and smiled at me again, extending her hand. "Hi, I'm Charlie."

"Dean." I said not bothering to take her hand.

-

Jo POV

Great, I thought. Another bad boy.

He stood up the front smirking smugly at Mrs. Milton.

"Dean, is there anything you'd like to tell us about yourself?"

"Not really, sweetheart."

I scoffed and continued looking at my notes, trying to appear uninterested unlike the swooning girls in front of me.

"Take your seat. It's down the back, right behind Miss Bradbury. Charlie, could you raise your hand?"

My best friend raised her hand with a smile. Wait. She sits right next to me, which means...

He took his seat right behind Charlie, who being her friendly self, introduced herself. "Hi, I'm Charlie."

"Dean." I tried not to scoff again as he refused Charlie's handshake, but she didn't seem too bothered by it.

"So, you're new. You know, I could show around the school if you'd like."

There was that smirk again. "Really? I'd like that." He winked.

Charlie scoffed this time, still smiling. "Sorry dude, but I don't swing that way."

Dean's expression shifted from cocky to embarrassed in the space of a second. I burst out laughing and tried to quickly cover it up with a cough.

Dean looked over at me. "You alright there, sweetheart?"

"Yeah, uh, I'm fine."

"Oh, sorry Jo," Charlie looked over at me. "Dean this is my friend Jo Harvelle. Jo, Dean"

Dean.

-

Dean POV

Jo.

I sat on the curb and waited for my dad to pull up and take me home. I felt someone sit down next to me.

"Hi," a surprisingly gruff voice said. He waited a bit before reaching out to shake my hand. "I'm Castiel."

"Castiel?" I looked over at him. "What kind of name is that."

"It's an angel's name."

"Not any angel I've ever heard of."

I felt bad as I saw his blue eyes looked down as he flicked an ant away.

"Sorry, man." I reached out my hand. "Dean."

"What?" He looked up at me, looking shocked.

"My name's Dean. Dean Winchester. You're in my grade, yeah?"

"Um, yeah..." He finally shook my hand when my dad pulled up.

"Alright, Dean. Get in."

"Okay, bye Cas."

"Cas?"

"Yeah, sorry. Castiel's kind of a mouthful"

"Oh, okay. See ya."

I got in the car and looked back towards Sammy. "Hey Sammy, how was school?"

"Okay, I guess. I made a couple of friends." He smiled up at me.

We drove for a few minutes before my dad spoke. "Listen, boys."

This can't be good.

"I've got this job, a couple of towns over."

It's not good. I knew it.

"Think you boys would be okay staying with someone else for a few weeks?"

"Another one?" Sam moved up between us looking at dad with puppy dog eyes.

"Seatbelt, Sammy," I said.

"Where are we staying?"

"Seatbelt."

"With your Uncle Bobby."

"Sammy."

Sam slumped back in his seat, putting his seatbelt back on with a frown. I reached back and tapped his knee. When he looked up at me I mouthed It's okay, Sammy.

It's Sam.

I laughed and turned back around.

Comment and vote!