𝖔. 𝖕𝖗𝖔𝖑𝖔𝖌𝖚𝖊

NON DESISTAS!
prologue.

NON DESISTAS!prologue

        THE KINGDOM OF WESSEX WAS SHROUDED IN DARKNESS, THE CRISP NIGHT AIR NIPPING AT THE SKIN OF THOSE BRAVE ENOUGH TO VENTURE OUTSIDE THEIR HOMES.

The moon was in hiding, large clouds dimming its light and covering it like the dark veil of a widow mourning the loss of her husband. The stars were nowhere to be seen, shielded by the dark mantle in the sky like the eyes of a child far too young to see a man perish.

The land was known for its constant showers and gloomy sky; thus no one read much into such foreboding weather conditions. Little did they know Mother Earth was silently suffering, preventing the moon's glow from reaching the ground below, for that night was not one worth celebrating.

The wind itself seemed to be weeping, the sounds it carried akin to the cries of children begging for their parents not to fade away. Its presence alone was peculiar, but one could guess the elements had chosen to make themselves known to bid farewell to those they'd grown to care about.

A circle of lit torches surrounded the sacred monument of Stonehenge, flames flickering fiercely and illuminating the features of the seven druid elders who stood within it.

While six people stood on the outskirts, the one in the middle glanced towards the sky, waiting for the moon to appear.

None of the elders regretted their decision, cool features, and smiles gracing their lips as they awaited the ceremony's beginning.

As the clouds slowly parted and the moon made itself known, each druid elder inhaled deeply, arms outstretched before them and palms upright, thumbs meeting in the centre.

The woman in the middle scanned the faces of those she'd grown to love, searching for any sign of hesitation yet finding none. Releasing a deep and heavy breath to steady herself ( one of the last things that would have ever left her lips ), she nodded once to signal the beginning of the ritual.

It was a majestic sight indeed; hands moving quickly, fingers bending and stretching while forming different patterns. The wind increased in speed with each movement, the flames on the torches shooting up high in the sky, and dancing at the tune of a silent song.

Suddenly, a wave of energy caused the nearby trees to shake violently, its golden hue encasing the grounds and reaching undiscovered lands across the ocean.

The elders' hand-movements picked up in speed, their eyes glued to the sky above as gentle chanting left their lips.

Fleeting images of forgotten pasts crossed the druids' minds, the laughter of lovers long gone ringing in their ears. They were slowly leaving the land of the living, their mortal bodies failing as all their magic slowly gathered together. Their strength was undeniable, determination unwavering as they persisted even in the looming presence of death itself.