Chapter 15 - Katherine

As I work on my laptop, which Killian got for me as a congratulatory gift for starting my job, I think about what my boyfriend might be doing right now. It's hard to concentrate on the spreadsheets in front of me when I remember how handsome he looked just this morning, shirtless, still wet from shower and simply delicious.

Damn it, I'm getting wet.

For the last weeks, I've been thinking about taking the next step with him, but every time we got closer, I chickened out. I could tell Killian wanted more, but he was still a true gentleman and didn't push me.

My body's ready, but my mind's not. Not after what I went through with my mother's husband. He scarred me.

Being touched by a man always reminds me of his hands on me, of him coming to my room at dawn and putting his hands on my body. Every morning, I hoped he wouldn't come, that he would leave me alone, but each time I was disappointed.

He never stopped.

And my mother was too blind to see what was going on.

Or she just didn't want to know.

Or... she knew but didn't care.

After her outburst here few months ago, I have no doubts it was the last option. She didn't care what her husband was doing. For her, I was a burden, not a daughter.

She always told me how I ruined her life, how I was her biggest mistake.

Having your own mother tell you she should've aborted you when she had the chance is traumatizing to a child. And I've been hearing it from my mother for years. She only cared about feeding her addiction and getting money from me.

Even though she hated me, I still did everything I could to support her, to earn her love, to make her look at me with pride at least once. But no matter what I did, it wasn't enough.

However, now that I'm with Killian, I don't even care about getting my mother's acceptance. She doesn't deserve to ruin my life anymore. I'm already 23 years old and I have a loving boyfriend and a bunch of friends who accept me the way I am. I've come to learn that despite them being criminals, they care a lot about their family and people close to them.

"Kathie?" I'm pulled from my thoughts by a knock on my door. I get up from the desk and go to open the door for Treasure. She gives me a mischievous look as she rubs her round stomach. How does she look so good when pregnant? She's so radiant she could put stars to shame.

"Hi! – I grin at her – What's up?"

"Did you forget? We're having a girls' night. Maggie is getting the drinks and food, and Anna is setting up the beauty room. We're going to have a glow-up!" She exclaims excitedly. I can only nod with a smile. I like Maggie and Anna, they're fun to be around. Maggie is Gun's old lady, while Anna is Eagle's. They're both a bit older than us, about 20 years or so, but their minds are still young. Not once did I feel left out while being with them, even though they could be my moms.

"I just have to finish up my work quickly and I'll be free, okay?"

Treasure groans in annoyance. "Fiiiine..." She exaggerates. "But I'm going to wait here for you, so you don't bail on me." She states authoritatively then struts inside, sitting on the bed behind me. Killian put a desk for me in his room after he moved my stuff here, having to take the couch out. I scolded him for being so wasteful, but he only told me that he doesn't want me to strain my back while working from here. How could I be mad at him when he's so cute and thoughtful?

"Okay, just give me a moment." I give her a small smile then turn to my computer, focusing on the numbers in front of me.

As soon as I'm done with the spreadsheets, I turn to Treasure, only to see her asleep. Was I taking so long?