Chapter 17 - Killer

The nap with my Cupcake is the best thing ever. She's so peaceful when she sleeps. But no matter how much she tries to fight it, she still wakes up every morning before dawn. I hate to see her torture herself like this, but I can't really do anything for her. She needs to overcome that fear herself. I will try to help her, obviously, but I can't take it away.

Unfortunately.

When I wake up it's barely two in the afternoon, so I decide to do the only thing reasonable.

I watch Cupcake sleep.

Tank told her he wants to see her later, but I sure as hell am not waking her up before she's fully rested to see him. It's not like he can't wait.

I gently place my hand on Cupcake's head, frowning when I notice how big it is compared to her, then slowly caress her wild hair, brushing it away from her face. She's so tiny and delicate. It makes me want to hide her so nothing can hurt her.

It took weeks for her leg to heal after she hit me with her car, much longer than it should, so I decided to talk to Doc about it. He said that he was surprised by it too, but he'd need to do some tests to know for sure what's going on.

Cupcake refused to go to a hospital, reluctantly admitting it's because she doesn't have money to pay the bill. Even when I said the money is not a problem, she still didn't agree. And I didn't want to force her.

She then explained how her bones have always been much weaker than normal person's and she would often end up in a hospital after breaking an arm or leg while playing with kids. I didn't miss how she hesitated when she mentioned that, meaning there's something she's hiding.

Doc decided to follow his intuition and got her to test her bone density, which only confirmed his suspicions.

My Cupcake is sick.

She apparently has idiopathic osteoporosis, a rare condition that weakens one's bones. Doc said that the cause is unknown, but mentioned that it starts before puberty and may improve later but not fully. That's why my Cupcake is so small and delicate even as an adult.

Good thing she has me to protect her now.

I won't let her suffer more.

I will stop anyone trying to do her harm.

I will kill anyone that tries to hurt her.

I will destroy anyone that causes her pain.

Cupcake's delicate state is the only thing stopping me from claiming her. What if I'm too rough with her? What if she gets hurt? What if I unintentionally break her?! I'll sooner die that be the reason of her pain.

I can't watch her suffering.

Not her.

After a while my sweet girl stirs in my arms, groaning tiredly as she wakes up. She looks at me with those mesmerizing green eyes of hers before smiling sleepily. "Hey baby. Had a good sleep?" I ask quietly, taking my hand off her head.

"The best. – she smiles, taking my hand and putting it back on her hair – Don't stop. I like it." She shyly peers at me through her lashes, making my heart race as it tries to beat its way out of my chest. She's so unbearably cute.

I start stroking her hair again, being rewarded with a content sigh from my girl. "I need to get up and see Tank, but I don't want to leave the bed." She groans quietly, closing her eyes tiredly.

"Then I'll tell him to come here to talk to you." I lean to press a kiss to her forehead. "In fact, I'll just text him to come here in an hour. You can go back to sleep." I murmur, noticing how tired my poor Cupcake is. She's getting nowhere near enough rest because of her job and the whole 'waking up at dawn' thing, so I'd rather she slept for a bit longer than collapse from exhaustion. She's pushing herself way too hard.