Assignment 9 - Episode 1

A lonely and isolated little patch of land, it was. There wasn't much to it at all. Just a small little house and garden. Sapphire and Steel, of course, knew there was more to it than that.

"Time of day?" Steel asked as he looked up at the clear, light blue sky.

"It's about 6:15 PM." Sapphire replied as she turned to look at him.

"Is this some idea of a joke? This looks more like something the more..." Steel paused "'juvenile' of us would be sent on."

"We've only been here for a few seconds, Steel." Sapphire shook her head.

"Well look at the setting! That should say it all! A small little house in the middle of the country with a, what some people may describe it as, charming little garden to accompany it."

"Looks are deceiving you, Steel." Sapphire smiled as she closed her eyes and brushed her hand against some tall grass beside her.

"Well the main thing is that you're enjoying it." Steel sighed as he looked at her in confusion.

"This part, yes. Not further along though." Sapphire told him as she looked in the direction of the house.

"What do you mean?" He questioned her.

"Well, this part seems to be completely different from the one ahead."

"Well what are we waiting for? Come on." Steel commanded as he started heading towards the house. Sapphire sighed and followed him.

"This must be wrong, surely." Steel said while walking and looking at a flock of birds taking off from the ground.

"Trust me, it isn't Steel." Sapphire said as they approached the door. "There's something a lot more sinister here."

"We'll see, shall we?" Steel said as he burst through the door.

"There's someone here Steel." Sapphire whispered to him as she looked around.

"Let's find them then."

They both started to look around the room closest to them, which was the living room. It was very traditional, cosy, and well-kept; no one was present though. They both split up, Steel heading to the dining room, and Sapphire to a bedroom.

"Steel." She started a telepathic conversation with him "They're in here. Two people. A man and a woman. Wait... The man has just left but... not through here."

"Through to another room?" Steel asked.

"No. Almost like... he just went straight through the wall."

Steel looked out of the room he was in in thought before quickly heading to where Sapphire was.

"Sapphire?" Steel called as he stood looking at the semi-closed door.

"In here." She replied "Be quiet though."

"What?" Steel queried in confusion.

"The woman is still in here."

Steel looked in confusion. The room was only small, no where for anyone to be hiding. Apart from himself and Sapphire, no one else was there in the room.

"I suppose this house is affecting you already." Steel bluntly stated as he looked around again.

"No." Sapphire shook her head.

Steel looked at her again.

"I'm going to try and make contact with her." Sapphire smiled.

"Alright." Steel said with a tone of sarcasm.