1: School

Maddie walked into school feeling nervous. She hoped she could avoid Peter today. He'd been harassing her all year. It seemed he was stalking her around campus.

She went to the art room instead of the common room, knowing Peter didn't take art as an elective. She pulled out paints and paper, and did exactly what she always found relaxing. She stuck her fingers in the paint pots and smeared a colourful mess onto the paper.

Maddie was most relaxed when using this technique that her therapist had taught her. She could completely ignore the blue paint she was getting on her pretty yellow dress, and just be happy.

It was probably stupid to do this before school, but she needed to calm down.

'Hey babe.' The voice came from the door. Peter had found her.

'Hi.' Maddie sounded sad, even to herself. Seeing him had undone all her messy happiness.

'Wanna go make out?'

'No. Someone would see.'

It was an excuse, of course. Maddie wouldn't let him stick his slimy tongue in her mouth if her life depended on it. Everything about Peter disgusted her; the way he used handfuls of hair gel to slick his hair back and left lumps of it on each strand, the way he always smelt like stale bread and cooked ham. The way he tried to force her to care about him. Everything.

'I'm gonna make you love me.' Peter advanced towards her and Maddie bit her lip. She wouldn't cry in front of him, she wouldn't!

Luckily, she didn't have to. Having scared her, Peter turned and left. Maddie picked up her mess and started cleaning up so she could go to class. She had Creative Writing first; her favourite.

The best part about Creative Writing was she could just listen to music and let herself imagine happiness. Sometimes Maddie thought it would be easier to end everything, but Miss Anne's class kept her alive.

Maddie grabbed her laptop, journal and coloured pens, then went to class.

She wrote in bright colours most of the time, because her teachers didn't mind and she liked it

'Maddie, you're late.' Miss Anne usually wasn't too upset about lateness, but she sounded angry. It was enough to push Maddie over the edge.

'I'm s-sorry Miss' she blubbered through her tears. The entire class was staring at her, but she couldn't stop. Her tears streamed down her cheeks and the room spun. The walls seemed to close in on her and Maddie sunk to the floor.

Around her, blobs of colour were asking if she was okay, but she couldn't even get in enough air to answer them.