NEVER FALL IN LOVE - CHAPTER 10 - Guard Duty

CHAPTER 10:

ANTHONY’S  POV:

Before I can usher Selena into her room for the talk we so badly need to have, she extricates her elbow out of my grip and rushes into a room across the hallway from her own bedroom.  When I follow her inside, I see that it’s another bedroom. 

She whips around and gestures towards the bedroom.  “You’ll sleep here.  It’s the guest room.  Sorry, but if things are a little dusty, it’s because we never have guests.”

I keep a straight face while saying, “I really don’t think you should be alone in your room.  That noise earlier could have easily been your stalker breaking into the house.”

She makes an exasperated face, “It could just be a joke.”  Then with a confidence I don’t buy, she shrugs one shoulder, “Now that I think about it, I probably overreacted earlier.”

Ignoring her excuses, I continue, “I’ll just sleep on your floor, that way if anyone breaks into the house in the middle of the night, I’ll definitely wake up when they trip over me.”

She shifts from one foot to another, looking uncomfortable.  “I’m not having sex with you, Anthony.”

I give her a dirty look that contradicts how turned on I am at her saying my name and the word sex in the same sentence.  “I’m not trying to have sex with you, jailbait.”

At my old nickname for her, she smiles, “Alright, but I’m not having any dorky heart-to-hearts with you.” 

I smile back, “We’ll see.  Now, I want you to go into that bathroom and get ready for bed.”

Selena rolls her eyes and bumps her shoulder against mine as she walks past me.  “I think I have something oversized that will fit you.”

I follow her into her bedroom and to the bathroom door, “I’ll be checking to make sure you brushed your teeth.”

“Uh-huh, I just bet you will,” then she slams the door in my face. 

Turning away from the closed door, I realize that my heart is racing.  I can’t believe after all these years, I’m finally in a position where I could possibly changed things between me and Selena.  There’s nothing more frustrating than watching the girl you love date guy after guy, while you know that trying to be anything other than her friend would be a mistake. 

All this time, I’ve never understood why Selena acts the way she does.  Why she seems to be hellbent on some girl power mission to put the male population in their place.  Most other girls that I know are boy crazy in a more romantic way.  Any romantic feelings that Selena has towards a guy are faked long enough to reel him in.  Then she crushes him. 

I admit, some of the guys that she’s done this to totally deserve it.  Others, I’m not so sure about.  I don’t think Selena cares who she hurts, as long as the person has boy parts. 

This night has been one of many revelations.  I’m trying not to be angry with her for all the things that she’s been hiding from me.  The fact that some pedophile down the street has been harassing her for two years is at the top of the list.  Let’s not forget that she just met Quinn a few days ago and he knew before I did that she’s blackmailing her dad.  What the hell would she be doing that for?  Grimacing, I think about the fact that she’s been taking care of her alcoholic mother for god knows how long and I never knew.  I don’t think anyone knew. 

Yeah, we have a lot to talk about. 

I mean, sure Katrina is officially her best friend.  But with the lack of brain cells that that girl possesses, I always considered myself her best friend.  I’ve always thought that deep down, Selena felt more than friendship for me.  After all, why did she keep running back to me when she dislikes males so much?