Chapter 10

Hearing footsteps, Virgil instinctively hid around the corner, trying to catch his breath.

"Oh Virgil!" The demon purred.

"Shit. Roman you idiot." Virgil hissed under his breath.

"Virgil, I know you're here." The demon said and Virgil could almost imagine its teeth shining like cold metal. "Say Virgil, it was very smart of you to try and throw Logan off the scent by asking him about the folk tale. Very smart of you. You know, I almost think you deserve that mark on your arm."

Suddenly, Virgil's mark started to burn and Virgil clutched his arm, forcing himself to not yell. The pain in his mark increased until Virgil could barely stand it and then it disappeared.

"You've gotten stronger, Virgil." The demon giggled. "But not strong enough. I can see your fear, the air is thick with it. Come out, come out, wherever you are." It sang but, getting no reply, the thing sighed and moved away, through a wall.

Virgil held his breath until he could no longer feel its presence and then ran towards Roman's room.

"Please say that Roman is still alive." Virgil prayed before he caught himself. "Why should I care?" Virgil sighed. Now was not the time to be asking himself why he cared about the boy he had to marry. Now was the time to save the boy he was going to marry.

"Shit, shit, shit, shit, shit." Virgil hissed as he entered the other prince's room. Everything in the room was dark and twisted and screamed 'evil force'. Roman himself was seemingly dead, lying motionless on the floor. "Shit." Virgil hissed again as he looked around for any sign of Rosebane. Of course that idiot had thrown all the Rosebane out the window. Virgil growled. "This is really the wrong time to be a head-strong asshole." He hissed to no one in particular, trying to think up a way to banish Malumsine for ever. His eye landed on the book Roman must've used to summon said demon. Virgil snatched it up and started rifling through it, conscious that he had little time before Malumsine came back.

The brand on his arm seared in pain but Virgil ignored it, trying to find a banishing spell. The sky outside crackled with black energy and a bright flash of white light sparked and nearly hit the window.

"Ignore it." Virgil told himself, gritting his teeth. "He's just fucking with you, trying to scare you."

Was it working? Yes. Virgil had never been so terrified in all his life. This was fear at its peak. The good thing about fear is that it heightens your senses. Virgil could see every blemish on the pages he was flicking through and he could hear every individual crack of the sky. Adrenanline was rushing through his veins and he didn't think he'd ever felt so powerful. Power and fear. Two very different things, both rushing around Virgil's body at 100 mile per hour.

Virgil let out a quiet laugh as he found the spell he was looking for. It was simple enough but the more dangerous the demon, the more damaging the side effects. Virgil's breath caught as he scanned the list. It said that anyone trying to banish a demon like Malumsine would be disfigured for life or, even worse, die. Virgil took a breath. It was what needed to be done.

"You know when I said I could see your fear?" A voice from behind Virgil asked, making him jump and back away. Malumsine grinned, his teeth shining needles and his eyes glinting with malice. "It's even stronger now. I can barely see you from the thick mist of your fear."

"I'm not afraid of you." Virgil said, struggling to keep his voice even.

"Aw Virgil, don't lie to yourself. I can see every little emotion. You are scared and you are weak."

"I'm not weak. I'll banish you to the depths of the demon realm and then we'll see who's the weak one then."

Malumsine's grin didn't slip. "Really? Let's see how well you get on without your book." With a flash of black light, the book in Virgil's hands disintegrated into ashes. Malumsine let out a chilling laugh. Virgil's grey eyes darted around the room, trying desperately to remember what he had read. Malumsine laughed again, seeming to sense Virgil's train of thought.

"Come on Virgil. You can't fool me. You never could."