Broken wings don't always heal

Quille's eyes flew open. She was sweating, her breathing was hard and unsteady. Pain shot through her shoulder and knee as she remembered what had just happened. It was pitch black and she could hear her horse breathing softly against her back. For the first time, she felt as if her spirit was broken. She felt hopeless and truly alone. All she's ever had to trust was herself and her horse, now she wasn't sure if she could even trust herself. She let out a sigh as she stared into the darkness. What the hell would she do now? She wished she had someone she could ask for guidance. She could go back to the city and try and find her fellow orphans who had practically raised her.

          No. It was way too risky. She couldn't trust anyone. Plans began to swarm her mind as she tried to figure out what to do. She thought until the sun came up and light spilled over the land. Nothing good had come to her. The best she could come up with was ride straight ahead and avoid everyone possible. She pulled out a flask of moonshine from her satchel and stared at it. Her drinking had gotten worse lately but she didn't care. She gulped it all down and threw the flask away from her. She was nobody. She doubted anyone even knew her name. She doubted anyone who wasn't the law knew who she was. The orphans were probably all dead by now. They were closest thing she ever had to a family who loved her and she abandoned them for a stupid horse.

          Shaking her head, she looked at Saturn who had awoken and was now looking around. He was not stupid. He was her best friend. Her only friend. She threw a leg over the horse's body and awkwardly scooted on the saddle. He pushed himself up and shook out his fur. Quille patted his neck, "good boy."

          She kicked him with her good leg, urging him forward. Maybe finally it was time to find someone who could help her. She couldn't survive alone much longer. Her freedom, her wings, they were ripped from her, she couldn't show her face in towns. Especially not Saint Denis. The two of them began riding west. She pulled a small map from Saturn's saddle bag and began to look at the possible places she could go. She accidentally killed a man in Rhodes about a year ago, they'd surely recognize her there. So that wasn't an option. So far it seemed the best option was get the hell out of Lemoyne. Whatever happened, she could not let herself be caught.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry for the shorter chapter!! I didn't think adding more would do any good. And for all y'all who are here for Arthur and the rest of the gang don't worry they're coming! I want to focus on Quille's development a little first before throwing her to the gang 

Also the picture for this chapter is some older art I drew of Quille like last month.

Like I said earlier, feedback is greatly appreciated! Thanks for reading <3