Chapter 2The promised land.

How elated we were to learn that we had auditioned for Motown. I remember berry Gordy sat us all down in front of him and promised that we would go down in history together.

— I will make you the greatest in the world, " he said. — You will be written about in history books.

He said so, and we moved closer to hear him better, and we said, " OK, OK." I'll never forget it. We went all over his house, listened to this strong, talented man convince us that we would become very famous — it was like a fairy tale.

— Your first record will take first place, and your second record will take first place, and the same will happen with your third record. Three best records in a row. Special arrangements will be made for you, just like for Diana Ross and the Supremes.

It was unheard of at the time, but he was right — it happened. Three records in a row.

Diane wasn't the first person to dig us up, but I don't think we'll ever be able to pay Diane back for what she did for us back then. When we finally moved to southern California, we actually lived with Diane and spent more than a year visiting her. Some of us lived with berry Gordy, the rest with Diane, then we switched places. She was just a miracle — replaced our mother and created a home comfort. She really took care of us for at least a year and a half while my parents were selling the house in Gary and looking for a place where we could all live together in California. We were surprisingly comfortable, since berry and Diane lived on the same street in Beverly hills, and we walked to berry's house and back to Diane's. I spent most of the day at Diane's and most of the night at berry's. This was a very important period in my life: Diane loved art and encouraged me to appreciate it. She devoted a lot of time to my education. Almost every day we went out together and bought pencils and paints. When we weren't drawing with pencils or painting pictures, we went to museums. She introduced me to the works of great masters, such as Michelangelo and others, and this was the beginning of my interest in art. She really taught me a lot. It was so new and interesting. And it's not like what I'm used to doing, which is living and breathing music, rehearsing day in and day out. It's hard to imagine a great star like Diana spending so much time on a boy — teaching him to draw, introducing him to art-but she did it, and I loved her for it. And I still do. Madly in love with. She was my mother, my lover, my sister, all in one amazing person.

Those were really crazy days for my brothers and me. When we flew from Chicago to California, it was like we were in another country, another world. And moving from our part of Indiana, which is so urban and often gray, to southern California, we felt like we were in the world of a wonderful fairy tale. I didn't know what to do then, I went everywhere — Disneyland, the sunset Strip, the beach. The brothers liked everything, too, and we tried to try everything, just like children who first came to a candy store. California surprised us: the trees were green, all covered with oranges, even in winter. There were palm trees and amazing sunsets, and very warm weather. Every day was special. I was interested in something, and I wanted to do it all the time, but then I realized that there was something just as attractive ahead of me, and I would like it just as much. Those were heady days.

The most remarkable thing was that we met all the Motown stars in California who had moved there with berry Gordy when he left Detroit. I remember the first time I shook Smokey Robinson's hand. It was like shaking hands with a king. I remember telling my mother that I felt as if his hand was covered with soft pillows. When you're a star yourself, you don't know what impression you make on people, and the fans notice everything. At least I noticed. I then went and repeated everything: his hand is so soft.

It seems silly to me now, but it made a huge impression on me at the time. I shook hands with Smokey Robinson himself. I generally admire many artists, musicians, and writers. As a child, I saw real pop artists-James brown, Sammy Davis, Jr., Fred Astaire, Gene Kelly. The art of a great entertainer reaches everyone — it is a measure of the greatness of the artist, and each of them had this gift. No matter who you are, it comes to you like Michelangelo's work. I always get excited when I meet someone whose work has affected me in some way. I can read a book that will touch me deeply or suggest an idea that I haven't thought of before. Some song or style of performance can excite or touch me and become so beloved that I am ready to listen to them endlessly. A drawing or painting can open the universe. In the same way, the performance of an actor or group can transform me.