393: Paasamum Swaasamum

Episode 393: August 05, 2020

Author's Note:

A big, big thank you to everyone who read my stories, voted, commented and sent messages today! You made my day so wonderful. Haven't felt this happy for a whole day in very long! Thank you ❤

I wrote this in bits and pieces through the day and finally let the sequence take its own course. Do let me know what you think of it!

This is an imagined sequence that takes place in the hospital between Kathir and Parvathy as they wait for test results at the end of the episode.

----------------------------------

Kathir dutifully justifies his white lie to Parvathy and sits next to her in silence. Reclining on the uncomfortable chair, he lets his mind wander to his phone conversation with Mullai. She had worried about him not talking to Parvathy. Such a worrywart. What could he talk to Parvathy about? He genuinely didn't know.

Another thing had happened. He had lied to her. That didn't happen very often. He was straightforward and honest. She was open and communicative. Pretty solid foundation for a couple, he acknowledged with a smile. There wasn't much scope for lying, really. Most of their communication was done through eyelocks where they invited the other to take a dip in their soul and find meaning. Not a great way to lie.

And then there were her eyes. Her aala thookra eyes. They were a pretty effective defense against any form of dishonesty. He would never be able to lie in front of them. Not that he would ever want to. He realises that he had been able to lie to her today only because it had been over a call. In a way, this was a good thing. He wasn't entirely defenceless against her after all.

Kathir is busy trying not to laugh at the memory reel of their many mishaps on two-wheelers and her reminder to not push her mother off his bike when he notices Parvathy's heavy breaths. She is panting again and seems to be on the verge of an anxiety attack. He gets worried and turns to calm her down.

"Atha... Atha"

He gets off the chair and moves in front of her. Gently kneeling on the floor, he continues calling out to her. Unable to find a nurse or doctor in the short-staffed hospital and unwilling to move away from his distressed Athai, Kathir begins to panic.

Digging out his years of experience in calming his Anni down, Kathir pulls himself together and looks at his Athai. He guesses that her worry about the tests must have sent her down a spiral and tries to ground her. After a split second of hesitation, he places both of his palms on her knees and guides her with a reassuring voice:

"Atha, enna paarunga atha. Inga paarunga."

Kathir's solid grip brings Parvathy out of her spiralling anxiety and she begins to follow his voice.

"Inga paarunga atha. Naa inga dhaan irukken. Ungalukku onnum illa. Neenga nalla irukkeenga. Ungalukku onnum illa."

Parvathy looks more in control now, but her breathing is still erratic. Kathir tries to get her to take deep breaths along with him.

"Inga paarunga, atha, en kooda moochu edunga."

Kathir inhales and exhales slowly and deeply and tries to hold Parvathy's attention with a steady gaze. Parvathy tries valiantly to take deep breaths, but struggles and ends up panting further. Kathir changes his approach and decides to address her troubled breathing indirectly. He holds one of her knees in a gentle grip and pats the other rhythmically. Praying for the rhythm to compose her body, he attempts to take her mind far away. He resumes talking to her in a steady, reassuring voice: