[1]

Amalthea looks up at the ceiling and tries to find funny faces hiding in plain sight. She doesn't have the motivation to wake up, although she has no idea why.

Clearly she has to be excited, right? After all, she got the acceptance letter a while back. Her parents were so happy for her too. This would be the day where she would finally be something, at least something that she could consider being proud of.

She stares in the direction of the letters on her desk. Open for the world to see. She twists and turns and reaches out for them and holds them firmly in her hand. The sun is coming up, revealing the words once again. We are pleased to inform you Miss Amalthea Gray that for the next four years you will be attending Allegra Music Academy, or the Academy of Musical Arts. This is followed by a long letter talking about the requirements that she met and all of the scholarships that are under her name.

She sighs. Clearly this should be a big deal. So why does she feel so empty? She should feel excited about this. Maybe the high has faded away before the dread sinks in. She has to maintain a certain GPA to keep her scholarships, or else she can't afford to go anymore.

She hears a knock on her door. "Hey sweetie," her mom peaks in. "Everything is already outside. We're walking you to the bus stop, remember?" Amalthea sits up and sees her mother sighing in disapproval. "Come on. It's your first day and you already feel like that?" she shakes her head. "Now, please get dressed. We'll be leaving in ten minutes." She removes herself from Amalthea's sight, leaving the young girl to her own thoughts. This is it. The moment that she's been waiting for.

She looks to the mirror of the communal bathroom of the house. Her normal copper hair is messy and dry looking, while her face feels sticky with sweat. She sighs as she washes her face and dresses herself up in the gray uniform she has received. Finally she takes in a deep breath. Finally, it's time for her to go her own way.

When Amalthea finally steps out of the bathroom, she sees her parents wait for her. She looks to her father, who has bags under his usually hazel eyes. Her mother with her similar hair smiles at her and holds out her arms into an embrace.

"You've grown up. I can't believe that you'll be on your own. We won't see you as often..." she kisses her forehead. "I'm so happy that you'll be following your dreams." She hums to herself. "Come on now, let's go to the train station."

Amalthea extends her hand to her mother's palm. Despite her emotionless expression, her body is trembling. She suddenly remembers that she'll be all alone, with no one to look out for her. Perhaps it's a bad idea for her. But...

She looks at her parents. Their tired faces form smiles that comfort her. She remembers the warmth from her mother's hand. She remembers the gentle look in her father's eyes. She can hear the wheels from the luggage behind her. Her heart doesn't stop pounding, but she hears the noises again. They calm her.

When they reach the station, her mother finally sighs and reaches out to cup her face. "Sweetie, look at me." Amalthea turns. "Remember what I tell you. If you ever feel scared, just listen to the background. Listen to the voices the others can't hear." She steps back and hands her the train ticket. "I'm going to miss you, but I know that you'll do fine even without us, right?" She kisses the youth on the forehead as soon as the train arrives.

The doors open and you're soon greeted with the hustling and bustling of the passengers coming in and out. "Hurry!" she says. "You must be on your way." Her mother pushes her onto one of the open entrances. She nearly loses her footing but she keeps persevering as her mother continues to push on through. Soon she stumbles upon the train steps. One of the attendants notices her struggling and helps her pull the luggage inside. "I love you Amalthea," she says finally. The young girl with tears in her eyes nods in response. "Take care of yourself!"