XXIV

All is quiet in the Scott House as Nathan fusses over his younger sister who is sitting on the couch smothered in pillows and blankets until the phone rings, forcing him to leave her side for the first time since her return home

"It's him." Nathan glances at the ID before turning to his mother with an exhausted expression.

"Don't pick up." She orders him and Hope swivels her head to face the answering machine as it picks up.

"Your father is refusing to cooperate with the attorneys. So, this custody thing may end up in front of a judge. If that happens, things could get ugly, sweetie. But I want you to know, I'm only trying to protect you and your sister Nathan." Deb frowns at both her children and Hope rolls her eyes before standing from her position. 

"How great is it that dad has an off button now?" Nathan pushes off the machine. "Look, Mom, I think you're doing the right thing for yourself. Even for him."

"That's debatable," Hope mutters under her breath as she watches the interaction. Yes, Dan has done some questionable things as a husband and a father but he's also the only one of her parents that remembers she's a person. Sometimes.

"It's you I'm worried about, Honey." Deb ignores her daughters comment and comfortingly rubs Nathan's arm.

"Well don't. I get it. You and dad splitting up is a good thing."

"I'm gonna go." Hope interrupts with a scoff and starts heading towards the door.

"Hope!" Nathan calls after her in a panicked voice. "Where are you going?"

"Lucas'!" She yells out just before the front door slams behind her surprisingly loud for an injured girl.

〰️〰️〰️

Hope is seated at the foot of Lucas' bed, quietly reading one of his old books while Lucas sleeps comfortably when Haley wanders in quietly, giving a brief nod to the blonde girl.

"Lucas," Haley calls out to wake him from his slumber and Hope lightly kicks him in his thigh to help. "Lucas? What hurts the most?"

"All of it." He mutters sleepily without opening his eyes.

"So you broke up with Brooke to be with Peyton?" Haley cocks her hip and sends her best friend a knowing look causing Hope's head to snap up from her book in surprise.

"What?!" she exclaims sitting up. "Why did I not know about this?"

"You think that's wrong?" Lucas ignores her outburst and focuses on his best friend.