Chapter five

Julian tossed and turned in his bed that night. He couldn't bring himself to sleep that night. His thoughts were filled with his personal assistant. Evelyn. What was it about that woman?. He wondered.

     His thoughts were interrupted by the sound of his phone ringing. He turned to look at the bedside clock. Two a.m. Who could be calling at this hour? Maybe it was Evelyn. At that, he rolled over to pick up his phone, which was lying on a small table at the foot of his bed. He answered the call and brought the phone to his ears. "Hello."

     Nothing.

     "Hello?"

     Nothing.

     Who could it be? And why was the person keeping shut?

     "Who are you? And speak up!"

     He was left listening to the sound of the dial. The person had hung up.

     Julian looked at the phone in confusion. What was that all about? Maybe it was a prank call?

     He sighed and laid down on the bed. Closing his eyes, he let himself drift into a restless sleep

He was standing in front of his old house back in London. He frowned as he looked around, confused.

Why was he here? What was he doing here?

He had move out of this place already? Hadn't he?

Grasses had overgrown and now brushed his knees. He could feel them glide roughly against his skin.

Wait!

He looked down at his legs, he was dressed in shorts. Odd!

He looked around again, the wind was picking up and the windows were beginning to swing and make loud noises as their frames rattled.

He should go. He didn't belong here. He began to turn around when he heard laughter from inside.

That voice. It sounded like Evelyn. What was she doing here?

The sound come again. And this time she called out his name. He felt a trickle go down his spine.

He decided to go inside. That stubborn woman. He will bring her out and they will be on their way.

He stepped inside the door, there was no one here. He looked around and found her standing at the top of the staircase, with her back to him. She seemed to be looking at a picture on the wall. He claimed the staircase slowly and came to a stop behind her.

"Who is this?" she asked.

He looked at the picture and felt his head hammer. Gwen. Why was that picture still there?

"It's my ex-wife." He answered.

Her body began to shake and she turned around suddenly. It wasn't Evelyn. It was Gwen.

Julian took a step back. She laughed and lunged for him.

"Missed me?" she said, trying to hold him. He backed away and began to rush down the stairs. "You can't run away from me. I have something you will need. Julian. I'm not done with you yet."

He ran out of the house, her voice echoing after him.

     Julian woke up with a start. He looked around his bedroom, his pillows were on the floor and the sheets were soaked with sweat.

     What a terrible nightmare. He thought.

     What could Gwen possibly have, that he would need. He didn't believe in nightmares but, he remembered that Fredrick had said the exact same thing to him. Maybe that was the reason he dreamt about it. He dismissed it immediately. He wouldn't think about Gwen.