Too Fast!

After briefing, Wells and Meyers walk to their patrol car. As Ed pulled out of the Rampart police station, Brian said over the radio, "1-Adam-24, day-watch clear."

Officer Wells inhaled in deeply and then let the air out.

"Alright, Meyers. We have to talk."

"About what?"

Just as Ed opened his mouth to answer, the dispatcher interrupted.

"1-Adam-24, 1-Adam-24, See the woman, a possible 211 in progress at a home, at 511 S. Bixel St., Code 2."

"1-Adam-24, roger."

In his head he heard one voice say, "I guess that will have to wait."

Then the other voice said, "No this is important, too!"

Before he knew it, they had arrived.

"Go! Go! Go! He has a gun!" the lady called out, "He's robbing us!"

"You said he has a gun?" Officer Wells asked.

"Yes! Now go! Hurry!"

"Now you said "us"? Are there other people inside?"

"Yes!"

"Is there a back door?"

"Yes, there is one at the back of the house."

"Okay, partn.."

Bang! A gunshot fired.

"Meyers! Oh, no!"

Instantly, adrenaline rushed through him. Wells ran into the house as quickly as he could. Then there Meyers laid at his feet. He checked for pulse. Wells let go a breath of air he had been holding in. He was alive.

Wells looked up. He saw the robber was distracted by the hostages in the next room over. He wasn't sure if that was intentional or not. Either way, he was grateful.

Now Wells had to pull him out both quietly and quickly as possible. After much effort he dragged him to his unit and put him in the back seat.

He wondered where the ambulance was. Then he realized. How could he have been so stupid! He knew there was no other units. Why had he been so irresponsible?

He quickly grabbed the mic and said into it, "1-Adam-24 to Control 1, Officer needs help. Shots fired at 511 S. Bixel St. Request ambulance and additional back-up."

"All units, stand by, 1-Adam-38 is in pursuit," the dispatcher replied.

"Great! Just great! It's all my fault! If only..."

"Sir."

"Yes?"

"It's not... your fault..., besides I'm... still alive," Meyers struggled to say.

He gasped in pain.

"Now," he continued, "how 'bout you go inside... and save the day," he smiled.

"Okay, partner. I'll do it for you."

Wells grabbed the mic and repeated what he had said earlier.

"The dispatcher replied, "1-Adam-24 roger." and the informed the rest of the units, "All units in the vicinity. 1-Adam-24, Officer needs help..."

That was all he needed to hear. The help Brian needed was on the way.

Then he listened at the window. Nothing. There was no voices. No noises whatever. He peeked in the window. Hostages were sitting on the floor and facing the window. The robber stood next to the window with his back facing the wall. The robber was just inches away from Ed's hand.

Wells ran to the door. He drew his gun and yelled, "Hold it right there! Drop your gun!"

The robber froze and dropped the gun. He had surrendered!

Sirens blared. Boy, that was a wonderful feeling! Help has come, finally!