Chapter 9: The Funeral

"We give our sympathies, but the rest of us will have to stay at the house. Still lots to do!" Mrs. Weasley said, bustling her way around the kitchen as she cooked lunch.

"I understand, Mrs. Weasley," I said, pulling at the neck of the black turtle-neck shirt Severus made me wear — along with a black skirt, black leggings and black dress shoes. I could tell I was going to die of either suffocation or overheating outside. The kind of clothes a mother would make a child wear.

She nodded a little too vigorously before flinching at my drawn out sigh.

Considering everyone in the Order actually knew who my mom was, I noticed none of them wanted to go to her funeral. As far as I could see, only Severus and Sirius were going with me. Mrs. Weasley obviously didn't agree with what my mom chose to do earlier on in her life, so she was staying and enforcing her decision on everyone else.

Out of all the Hogwarts students staying at Grimmauld Place, I was the only one to know and understand why this was.

The twins were in outrage at their mother not allowing them to go to the funeral, and Hermione was puzzled enough to try finding out from Mrs. Weasley. But she was one who would die with her secrets still kept hidden, probably even with a smile on her face. I felt like I should learn from that....

Mrs. Weasley stared a bit guiltily at me. "From what I've heard about her according to Sirius and Remus, she sounded like a very nice woman —"

Back when they last saw her, which was — when? — back in their Hogwarts years. I cut her off with, "Remus? Is he coming?"

"Uh... oh, yes! Didn't you know he's a part of the Order?"

"... I suppose I should have figured that...."

The kitchen door opened, and there was Severus.. in his usual robes. "It's time to go. Are you ready?"

"I don't know now. I want to wear a normal set of clothes, too."

"Are they black? Are they formal? Are they modest?"

"Well, two out of the three —"

"Meaning they're not formal —"

"No," I started sarcastically. "Meaning they're not modest, duh! Obviously!"

He gave me a look. "My robes are all three, now come or we'll be late."

"I've been ready for the past hour! Where have you been?" I replied, walking through the kitchen door as he held it open.

"Getting the rest of our company," he said, following behind me into the main hallway where Sirius, Remus, and two other people stood waiting.

Remus smiled warmly, "I told you I'd see you again."

I snorted, forcing a small smile. "If it could have only been under better circumstances. But, I guess I'll take what I can get."

"You look familiar," a young witch sporting blue hair said, eyeing me speculatively.

"Melody," Remus said, pointing to her, "this is Nymphadora Tonks —"

She immediately stopped staring at me to glare at Remus, her hair turning a deep red as she sneered, "Don't call me Nymphadora."

"— who prefers to be called by her surname only."

I nodded politely to her, doubting she was coming to the funeral because she knew my mom. She seemed very young, barely older than Fred and George.

"And this man here," he indicated the tall, black man, "is Kingsley Shacklebolt."