Chapter 4: Different Family

Akemi's family was different.

He was used to different.

Natsu Dragneel, his father, had a speech problem. He would stutter once or twice when he spoke. If he stuttered more than that, he was worried or stressed.

Lucy Dragneel, his mother, couldn't walk and had to sit in a wheelchair.

Albeit, that wasn't the difference in Akemi's eyes. In fact, it never really bothered him, because he grew up with these conditions. Point is, there were other factors that made his family different.

In one quick glance, they would look like an odd family. He knew he was adopted, but people didn't know that. The three looked nothing alike. You'd think, after knowing that he was adopted, it would make them seem less conspicuous and judged. However, that wasn't the case.

His father had pink hair. His mother was quite beautiful. That being said, it wasn't too rare to see someone with blonde hair, but she stuck out with her beauty. As for him, he apparently had a rare eye-colour too; a shade of blue that almost resembled turquoise.

Their neighborhood obviously found their family weird, so they kept their distance. They never talked to them or included them in the neighborhood activities. That was four years ago when they first moved into their own house and a little bit after Akemi was adopted. But with the warm personality of both Dragneels and Natsu's extroverted self - despite the stuttering - the people warmed up pretty quickly.

Although, with all that in mind, that still wasn't the half of what made Akemi's family so different. No, it sure wasn't.

Akemi finished his homework and stood up to stretch his legs. "Oh, you're done?" He peered out the slightly open door to see a pink haired lady dressed in a maid uniform. Her lifeless eyes staring striaght into his. He opened the door fully. "Yes, I am. What are you doing here, Miss Virgo?"

"Princess needed some assistance with the groceries, so I came to help," she answered. This caught Akemi's attention. "So dad is training then?" He questioned. Akemi knew it was most likely the case. His dad would help any time possible, so he was certain that his father was training. It was the only thing Natsu Dragneel done that kept him busy - besides his job.

"It seems so," Virgo answered, turning away, "Now, I must get these to the kitchen. Would you like to accompany me, little Akemi?"

The boy nodded and hid the irritation he felt by that nickname. He only mentally vowed to make Loki pay for teaching Virgo that horrid nickame just to tease him. And as for why Virgo called his mother 'princess', he nor Lucy knew why. At least he wasn't called 'prince' or 'young master'. Thank goodness for that.

He took a bag from Virgo's hand without a word and followed her to the kitchen. As he entered, he saw his mother sorting through some groceries placed on her lap. He made another mental note to call his father to help her pack the groceries away.

Akemi witnessed the softening of his mothers eyes and from that sight, it was all he needed to see to know his mother smiled. His mother's smile brought a sense of warmth.

"I finished my homework." He tried reaching for the table, but it only resulted in Virgo lifting him up. He put the bag down - not without groaning. He scowled with crossed arms as the maid placed him back on the ground. Yet, at his mother's chuckle, his scowl was reduced to a pout.

"Thank you, Miss Virgo," Akemi mumbled. She nodded with a small smile. "You're welcome," she said, "I will take my leave now. Goodbye princess and little Akemi."

She bowed and then, it happened. The lady dressed in a maid outfit dissapeared, leaving small, colorful, glitter as a fire would leave soot. She faded away and soon, those rainbows of glitter faded as well. Akemi always found it beautiful in its own way. It amazed him everytime he saw his mother's ability. Though, he wished after a time of observing, he had an abilty like his mother's. Unfortunately, Lucy had never known how she was able to summon her friends, so he was never able to learn.