4. you've got a fire inside, but your heart's so cold

Note: I'm not Portuguese, or American so I made up street names :)

She didn't know what time it was when a loud knock rang through the house. She stopped mid-chew in her slice of cheese pizza to share a look with Emilio. 

The two had been sharing all the stories they were afraid to say sober and Emilio held his stomach laughing as she told him how she got away from Baltimore.
But he stopped laughing when he realized how the story ended, or why it started in the first place. And they sat in silence for a moment, almost like they were mourning the life they could have had together if he hadn't fucked up, if she hadn't fucked up.

Athena cleared her throat, "Are you expecting someone?"

Emilio looked away from her questioning gaze, opting to stare at his empty beer bottle instead. Athena sighed, getting up to look out of the window.

"I think your girlfriends back."

"Stay there," Emilio looked concerned, "She's a bit off the rails, she's supposed to be in rehab."

He disappeared  through the back door and Athena stood in the kitchen while she listened to their brief conversation in the yard.

Emilio came back inside with one hand pressed to his swollen cheek. The woman wasn't far behind. She had long, pink hair, blue eyes and a curvier body shape which trembled in such a way Athena knew she must be hooked on something. Her appearance wasn't what Athena thought was interesting: it was the baby in her arms.

"What the hell do you mean, you don't remember?" The woman was shouting toward Emilio and the child in her arms started crying. 

Emilio looked horrified, "You told me you were getting an abortion! You told me I didn't get to have a say in it! And then you left!"

"Well, I lied! Okay!" The child was screaming now, thrashing around in the mother's arms. Athena reached forward impulsively and the woman sent her a questioning glare before passing the child over to her expectant arms with a shrug. Athena didn't have a lot of experience with children, especially babies, but somehow the baby relaxed in her arms as she sat down on the stairs, swaying gently. She had babysat a few times for younger kids, about 10 or older, in Baltimore, but all she really did was take them to the park and make sure they didn't get into any trouble.

"How old is he?" Emilio pressed.
"About a year, but listen -,"

"A year?!" Emilio exploded, "You kept him from me for a year! What happened to rehab? You getting a better life?" 

The woman looked down at the ground, "It didn't work out. I couldn't pay for it! And then, he came along and I thought everything would be okay! I had heard so many moms talk about the connection they had with a child like no other in the world. I didn't get that!" 

Emilio looked perplexed, "So what? It's his fault?"
"No!" She exclaimed, "But I've reached a point with it! I can't do it anymore, Leo, not on my own!" 

Emilio stood back slightly, "What are you saying?" 

"Please. Take me back, take us back. I need you, Leo, I should have never left. He's your son, he needs you." 

Athena couldn't help but think that 16 years ago her mother might have had a similar conversation with him, begging him to stay when she found out she was expecting, and that it would have been better if he left.

Somehow, this felt different. This woman gave serious crazy, off-the-rails type vibes, and they both knew that somehow, in a way neither thought possible, the baby would be better off with Emilio.