I PROMISE That Wherever Life

BACK TO YOU
Written by MischiefMaidenx
COPYRIGHT © 2020 by MischiefMaidenx
All rights reserved.

——————————

"You have reached the voicemail box of 'Ford Daniels.' Leave your message after the beep."

"Hey babe, I was hoping to talk to you today. I tried calling earlier and it rang to voicemail as well. I guess you're just really busy. I mean—we both have been lately. I feel like I don't ever get to talk to anyone other than if they're a part of the staff at a photoshoot. I miss you handsome. It's been four months since I last saw you and I wish I could get some time off. Don't get me wrong—"

Beep!

"You have exceeded the allotted time to leave a voice message. Please hang up and call again."

——————————

Chapter Song :
Body On Me - Rita Ora, Chris Brown

——————————

L E X I E • P O V

"Lexie! Off the phone and get over here. We're waiting on you!" Pierre, my snappy photographer for today, screeches at me with a broken English accent from across the large studio we are using for the Elle magazine photoshoot.

"Seriously!? I'm on my fifteen!" I yell back with frustration. I simply refuse to move from my spot near the food table as I eat my anxiety away. However, I really should stop doing this before I become the size of a hot air balloon and become unrecognizable.

Most importantly though, aside from the food, I'm trying to get a hold of my boyfriend. It's our one year anniversary tomorrow and instead of spending it with him, I'm stuck in Paris for another week.

I just want to see him. I miss his voice, in person too, not just over the phone. His warmth as he holds me unbearably close. And above all else, his breathtaking kisses. All of it.

We both promised each other long ago that we would make this work—the whole long-distance thing. And we have for the most part. God have we and recently, we both have been so swamped with everything. Whether it's because of work, the time difference, or school for him as he finishes up his doctorate in mathematics and the two additional classes a week he's taking on photography. Like I said, busy.

I pick up my phone to call him again so I can finish my voicemail and I don't know, maybe catch him when he's not swamped so we can actually talk.

This voicemail tag has become annoying, to say the least.

While the other line rings and rings, the hope in my heart deflates and I'm left with nothing but loneliness and a frown on my face. When the automated message is over and I hear the beep sound, I take in a deep breath to hide my emotions for the most part.

"I really wish they'd give more time to leave a voicemail, babe, " I laugh half-heartedly. "Anyways, as I was saying, don't get me wrong I love it here in Paris but it's not home without you. I just—I just really miss you Ford and I'd give anything to have you hold me in your arms right now. I love you so much and when we are done playing virtual tag, we need to set up a FaceTime date. Call me back when you're able to. Stay safe and bye-bye."