CHAPTER 2

୧‿̩͙ ˖︵ ꕀ⠀ ♱⠀ ꕀ ︵˖ ‿̩͙୨

As Sister Mina bid farewell to the child and left the workshop, a chill settled in the air. The once vibrant garden, filled with the soft hum of morning, now seemed eerily silent. She felt a shiver run down her spine but brushed it off, attributing it to the early morning chill.

The hallway leading to her room was dimly lit, the flickering light of the candles casting long, dancing shadows on the stone walls. Each step she took echoed ominously, amplifying the oppressive silence that now filled the convent. Her heartbeat echoed in her ears, each pulse magnified by the thick silence.

As she neared her room, she felt an inexplicable unease. The long hallway seemed to stretch even longer, and as she turned a corner, she saw a shadow dart across the hallway, disappearing into the darkness.

She froze, her breath catching in her throat. It was too quick to be one of the sisters.

With cautious steps, she approached her room. The door, which she had locked before heading to the garden, now stood wide open, as if inviting her into the darkness beyond. A sense of dread washed over her. She hesitated at the threshold, her mind racing.

Taking a deep breath to steady herself, she stepped inside. The room was just as she had left it, yet something felt profoundly wrong.

The air was thick, almost suffocating, and the faint scent of lavender, which usually brought her comfort, now seemed cloying and oppressive.

She reached for the oil lamp on her bedside table, her hands trembling slightly as she lit it. The small flame flickered weakly, casting an unsettling glow across the room.

Shadows seemed to stretch and warp, taking on shapes that danced at the edges of her vision.

Suddenly, the door slammed shut behind her with a force that rattled the room. She spun around, her heart pounding in her chest, but there was no one there.

The sound echoed in the oppressive silence, amplifying her fear. She stood frozen, her mind struggling to process what had just happened.

The room grew colder, and she felt a prickling sensation at the back of her neck, as if she was being watched. The shadows in the corners of the room seemed to grow darker, more menacing. She took a step back, her eyes wide with fear.

"Who's there?" she whispered, her voice barely audible. There was no response, just the heavy silence pressing in on her from all sides.

A cold breeze brushed past her, sending shivers down her spine. She turned toward the source, but there was nothing there, just the dim light of the flickering lamp.

She felt a presence, something dark and malevolent, lurking just out of sight.

Gathering her courage, she whispered a prayer, clutching her rosary tightly.

The temperature continued to drop, and she could see her breath misting in the air. The sense of being watched grew stronger, and she could almost hear a faint, rhythmic breathing that wasn't her own.