Chapter 1

Their pawsteps crunched loudly on the leaves as they scampered through the forest. Rey looked at her comrades with a worried spark in her eyes. "Madison, don't you think they'll find us with this loud crunching we happen to be making every time we take a step?" she asked a little forcefully. Madison looked a little annoyed with Rey and didn't reply. "Rey is right, you know. She definitely seems to care about her guard, and more importantly, her country! Pomerania is doomed without us here, you know," Aria intervened. "Sorry to burst your bubble, Aria, but we haven't invented a way to be stealthier walking through the Leafstrewn Forest yet," snapped Madison. "They don't call it the Leafstrewn Forest for nothing," Rey added, looking down with fear on the leaves beneath her paws. "Right. Now get your act together and shut up, would you? We're trying to do business here," Madison whispered. There was silence as the three comrades trudged through the forest, the only thing breaking the silence the crunching of the leaves beneath their paws. "Wait." Rey had sensed something. "Girls, run!" Before they had a chance to ask questions, they saw Rey being consumed by the shadow of a creature as it loomed over her. "Run? Rey, just saying that is taking a shit on the entire Brimhearte legacy! We will fight, and do nothing but fight for our comrades!" Madison snipped before taking her claws out and lunging at the bear. "Madison, no! It's too dangerous!" Rey shouted, but she was drowned out by the sounds of the raging battle between Madison and the black bear. Aria was nowhere to be seen, so they assumed she had just fled the scene to find help from other Brimhearte guards. They froze when they heard a combative yap come from behind the bear. The bear reared up, shaking a small, male guard off of its back. He got back up and lunged at the bear, digging his teeth into its flesh. The bear was clearly weakening due to blood loss, its back spilling out with blood. With an epic red splash, the guard unclenched his jaw from the bear's hide and was knocked off again as the guards watched it drop dead. "Wow. Those Brimhearte folk really are a little ditzy to hire mainly females as the guards. Even this tough girl was just watching me do it," he remarked, addressing Madison. Blood dripped off of his jaws with every syllable he spoke. "Oh yeah? Well, you..." Madison sniffed the guard to identify his scent. "You Locketgaile whore can lick my asshole," she declared arrogantly, swishing her tail and holding her head high. "Hey, I saved you and your wimpy 'comrades' from that bear, you have to have a little bit of respect," he muttered, looking a little put out. "I'm Adair, by the way. And you are?" Madison was clearly giving everything in her willpower not to turn on him. "Who says you should know? You look like a Lustredawne peasant had sex with a rat," Madison spat. Adair looked offended, but it seemed clear that he was playing with her. "I'm that rancid, am I? Well, you'll learn." He winked at her before walking away.