Chapter 2

"I'm telling you, all I can think about is Tough Girl. She didn't even tell me her name, she just insulted me instead. She told me I looked like a Lustredawne peasant had sex with a rat! But she's so... so..." Adair trailed off. "Sexy? Yeah, Adair, I don't think you should go crushing on a Brimhearte. There are plenty of fish in the Locketgaile sea, y' know?" warned Zacharias as they sat down by the drawbridge together. "God, I can't believe we're on drawbridge duty tonight. I mean, talk about a lame job," complained Adair, rushing to change the subject. "Yeah. Nobody ever tries to break in through the drawbridge," Zacharias agreed. "Well, at least I have you, Zach." Zacharias scoffed. "Butcha don't have your little star-crossed lover from Brimhearte, do ya, Adair?" he teased. Adair growled and slashed Zach's neck, causing blood to drip down his belly. "What did I say about mentioning her?" 

"What did I say about mentioning him?" Madison barked. "Tuh, sorry," Rey spat. "Rey, that doesn't mean anything! Mentioning him is a terrible thing to do! He's a douche, okay?" Aria rolled her eyes. "But you were right to call him a whore. He does seem like one," she remarked out of the corner of her mouth. "I bet his best friend is named Zacharias or something," added Rey. "Shut up, we're on drawbridge duty right now!" hissed Madison, sitting down by the drawbridge. "Hear ye, hear ye!" came a voice from the center of Brimhearte. "Princess Elvira shall be assigned a suitor this day!" With worry, Aria looked up at Princess Elvira, who was looking down on her father from her tower with a gloomy expression. The two had developed a close friendship. "We have chosen two strong males-" Aria noticed Elvira flinching at the word "males"- "to duel for Her Majesty's paw in marriage. Give a warm welcome to our suitors!" King Octavius declared. "Prince Kendrick of Lustredawne!" he announced, beckoning the crowds to clear the way for a white pomeranian with a silky, unmatted, perfect tail. He held his head up arrogantly and looked at Brimhearte peasants with a scornful expression as he strode toward the duelling circle. He was decked out in traditional Lustredawne royal jewelry, a topaz head crest and necklace with the Lustredawne L as the charm. His cape glittered with topaz and trailed on the ground like a wedding dress as he walked. "Prince Caesar of Locketgaile!" 

"I bet they're both whores," whispered Aria, forcing Rey to suppress her laughter. 

Prince Caesar was a brown pomeranian with garish sapphire jewelry that clashed with his fur shade and no sign of a cape. Watching him, Madison noticed the two guards escorting him through the crowds. With a dreadful pang, she recognized one of them. Adair. Hatred splashed to life like a tsunami in her stomach at the mere sight of him. She didn't recognize the other one, but Adair was keeping her occupied. The two princes stood face-to-face in the dueling circle. King Octavius cleared his throat. "May the duel..." There was a sound of scraping metal as the suitors drew their swords. "...begin!"