Waking Up to My Mate

My nose woke up first. It does every morning. I usually wake to the smell of my mother's cooking or the smell of frost early in the morning when my dad has me sleep outside naked as punishment. But this smell was different.

I burst my eyes open and took in my surroundings.

I was in a cabin. A log cabin. A small, log cabin. Literally one room and a bathroom. The bed I was in was queen-sized. Beside me was a door that was slightly ajar revealing a bathroom. There was a small kitchen with a tiny island, a couch and lazy-boy, a fire crackling, and a closet without doors. I sniffed the air and couldn't figure out what the amazing smell was. It wasn't food ... it was human.

I looked down at myself and found my wounds completely healed and gone. I went to move and pushed on my side where I was shot. Even though I was healed, I was still sore. Maybe I was in a healer's home. Healers are blessed by the Moon Goddess with her essence. With that comes the ability to heal others. But the only wolf scent I was picking up was me.

I crawled out of bed still clutching my side and looked down at myself. I was in a t-shirt and plaid pajama pants. I looked around the room and then my eyes fell on the bathroom.

I looked around for another human soul before skipping to the toilet.

Once I was done, I came back out and there was still no one. I walked  onto the front porch of the cabin and heard an ax touch wood. I began making my way around and would have come upon a young girl splitting wood but instead got a young maniac running at me with an ax in her hand, screaming!

I acted quick and grabbed hold of her ax, then I yanked it from her grasp. The girl pulled out a knife and I couldn't help but be impressed with her bravado.

My heart began to beat fast as the smirk on my face disappeared. The amazing smell was her. The thing I was drawn to was her.

Mate.

"Mine," I simply said, still looking the girl in the eyes. She scrunched up her nose and before I knew what was happening, she flicked her hands in a weird way and I was on my back.

"I try to defend myself against a rogue werewolf like a normal person and I still have to use magic." I groaned on my back. Never had I ever been thrown to the dirt so hard. I wondered who the girl was. "Come on, doggy."

She picked up her ax and slipped her knife back into her pocket. She began walking without me and I slowly got up on my feet as I groaned every second from the impact.

I held my side and limped back into my mate's house.

"Sit, please," she offered after setting the ax against the front entrance wall and walking to the open kitchen. "Want some coco?"

"Sure." I wanted more food than just coco, give me a break, I'm a werewolf.

I studied the girl as I sat on a barstool at the small island.

She was cute. After taking her coat off, I got a better view of her body.

She wasn't a perfect super model for sure. Her legs were short and thighs thick. Her calves were strong as well as her arms that showed through the tight long-sleeved shirt she wore. Her chest was a good size. Not too small but not really big. Her stomach was flat and so was her butt. Freckles decorated her tan face. Her hair was down and it was the length of her shoulders. It was dark, and I was having trouble deciding whether it was brown or black. I couldn't remember what color her eyes were and I wasn't able to get a good look at them as she prepared hot chocolate.

The kettle was already warm so she just had to fill two mugs up with mix and then pore hot water in them.

"Here you are," she said, giving me a mug.