Chapter 3: Wonder

Vyco's POV

After I watched Celia leave the room I turned to the sink and set down the change of clothes and towels she'd given me. I looked around the bathroom taking in its marvelous details.

The floor was white tile with a few black floor mats in front of the toilet, sink and bathtub. The cabinets were a mahogany wood with silver handles and hinges. The mirror over the sink was large with a spotless shine to it. The bathtub was big with water jets all around and above it I noticed white lights dangling about two feet from the ceiling. I've never seen something so clean and pristine as this bathroom.

Remembering that the shower was still on I changed out of my clothes quickly. As I pulled off my shirt and untied my patch I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror. I traced the scar that went from the hairline in the middle of my forehead all the way to the bottom of my right ear. My right eye was a grey in color, different from my left which was practically black. I looked at the slash that was over my chest, starting from my where my heart was all the way to my right hip. There were cuts a nicks that tainted my body as well. I was horrifying to look at.

I'm glad she never asked me to take off my shirt, she'd ask questions, I thought. Not only that she'd think that I looked like a monster.

But why do I care? I'm not planning on staying here for long anyways. Only a week or two at the most. I wouldn't want to burden her with my problems. I know that they'll be searching for me soon and if they find me here, they'll take her too.

Pushing those thoughts from my mind I finished taking off the rest of my clothes and got in the shower. The warm water felt good on my icy skin. I stood under the running water for what seemed like forever until I decided to finally wash off. Scrubbing off the dirt and blood that I had been covered in until I could see my pale skin again.

Celia... That name sounded so familiar to me for some reason. But I know I've never met anyone by that name. Where would I have heard it before? My mind wondered while the water beat down on my body.

~

After about fifteen minutes I finally got out of the shower. I tied my patch around the right side of my face and put on the t-shirt and sweatpants that were laying on the sink. To my surprise they were a perfect fit and they were even quite comfortable. As I stepped into the bedroom a wonderful scent filled my nose and the sudden pain of hunger hit me. Curious I walked down the hall towards the kitchen where the smell grew intense. I couldn't make out what it was though.

I saw the girl standing in front of the stove with many candles surrounding her for light. A hum came to my ears and I noticed it was coming from her. Strange... She seems so calm...

Not realizing that I had walked further into the kitchen, the wooden floor creaked under my foot as I took a step. She immediately turned around startled by the noise. Her face was a bright shade of pink when her eyes met mine.

"I-I see you're finished with your shower," she said stumbling at first.

"Uh, yeah I just got finished." I felt my face grow warm as I spoke to her. "Sorry if I made you jump."

"Oh no it's fine." She said. "You don't have to apologize, I wasn't that startled."

I watched as she brought a medium-sized, black pot and two glass bowls with spoons to the table. "I hope beef stew is alright," she said. "It was the only thing I could fix quickly." She started to fill a bowl with stew and set it down in front of me then did the same with hers.

I took my spoon and scooped up some of the stew. I could see the steam rising from the bite and started to blow on it to cool it down. Just as I was about to take a bite I felt something rub across my legs. I instantly put down the spoon and looked under the table to find a pair of golden eyes staring up at me. When it jumped up into my lap I saw that it was a black cat. It wasn't real big so I assumed it was still a kitten.

"Oh, that's Sebastian." Celia said. I looked at Sebastian and noticed he was purring loudly. I began to pet his head gently and he purred even louder as he nudged my hand for more. "I think he likes you." She chuckled. Watching the kitten he lay down and curled up into a ball on my lap. To be honest, he was actually kind of cute.

"I guess he does." I said watching the kitten begin to fall asleep."He's still young isn't he? He seems really small."

"He's only about two months old," she said. "He was brought in with four other kittens to be put up for adoption since the mother had passed away. When I noticed that he was the runt of the litter, I decided to take him in so I could care for him. The rest were adopted as soon as they came out of quarantine."

She stood up with her bowl and walked over to the sink. She paused for a moment, then turned to look at me. "Okay, the guest bedroom is set up, there are extra blankets and pillows in the closet, and there is a also a change of clothes in there too. Tomorrow we'll go out and get you what you need to get you through for now," she looked out the kitchen window and sighed. "I have a feeling that the power will be out for a while so I'll give you some candles to make it through the night." Saying so she walked over to the table and handed me two candles and a lighter.

Taking the candles I said, "Thank you, again."

Smiling she looked at me and said, "Really, there's no need to thank me."

"Are you always like this?" I asked.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean being so nice to a stranger you just met." Standing up I walked towards her looking dead in her eye. "You don't know anything about me, yet you're allowing me to stay here. What if I'm a criminal? I could kill you in your sleep and you'd have no clue."

I was only about a foot away from her but she didn't back away nor did her face waver. She looked so calm. It was as if she didn't have a care at all to what I had just said. What kind of girl is she? Why isn't she afraid of me?

She looked me back in the eyes with no trace of fear. Instead, there was a rage in her eyes. "You're missing out on one detail," she began. "You don't know anything about me either. I may look helpless but I could take you out in an instant if tried to touch me. Besides, if you were to kill me, you wouldn't mention anything about it." Then her face softened. "Plus I don't pin you as the criminal type. Not even with that black cloth on your face."

She had a point. Not like I wanted to kill her nor did I want to cause her any trouble. But I was still baffled by how kind she was. She had only just met me not to long ago. I stepped back. "You're a smart girl."

She smiled. "So I've been told. I'm just good at figuring people out."

No shit, I thought. I went back to the table and grabbed the candles and lighter then turned to face Celia. "Am I free to get some shut eye?" I asked a bit sacastically.

She giggled. "Sure follow me." Taking one of the candles from the table she then took me down the front hall and motioned to the right. "This is the guest bedroom. The bathroom is free to use although there is no shower. Extra blankets and pillows are in the closet and so is your change of clothes." She set the candle down on the nightstand. "If you need anything else you know where my room is."

I watched her turn to leave but as she reached the doorway she turned and looked at me. "I could ask questions but I won't." I was confused but my face didn't show it and she continued. "I'm not going to lie I'm curious but I know it's none of my business. So that's why I'm not questioning you about anything."

She's very strange this girl, I thought to myself. I wonder..

With so many things I wanted to say to her I settled with one. "Good night Miss Celia."

She smiled. "Good night Vyco." And she turned down the hall.

I stood there for a good five minutes before I decided to lay myself down in the bed and blow out the candle. The darkness made my mind wonder. Although my mind was overflowing with thoughts leading me to different places, every time I was lead back to her.

Celia...