➳𝕾𝖎𝖝

The golden sunlight shines down and the tower's bell emits a low-pitched, resonant "Bong!"

Yangyue Qin Feng and Bai Xuan Ye recognizes that sound; they know that class will begin shortly. Bai Xuan Ye straightens up from the rocky ground.

The tribesman attempts to rise up, "Ouch-" The soreness and numbness in her legs cause her to collapse. She nibbles on her bottom lip, a muscle in her jaw twitches.

The Warrior Prince bends down and lends her his hand: "A little help?"

Left with little options, she looks down on the ground and takes hold of his hand. She mutters sheepishly, "Thanks."

Today will be a day of intense training again. Upon arriving in the field, all of the teams began doing drills again. This time, the General demonstrates how to complete a different set of obstacle course before passing the spotlight to the teams.

The focus: develop a sense of discipline and coordination using movements from the military obstacle course training. They will engage in climbing, running, swinging, vaulting, plyometrics, and quadrupedal movements--all of which will strengthen their mind and body.

All the teams get into their formation and anticipate to complete the course in time.

Initially, the sixth team comes in first place. When they are about half way done with the obstacle course, however, Jun Shao Han becomes fatigue and decelerates his speed. In contrast, Hao Ming and the rest of the team maintain a consistent speed.

In the end, Yangyue Qin Feng's team drifts behind and comes in third place in the training. Now, every group members huff heavily in the finish line, awaiting for further instructions.

"We got third place..." With his head down, Jun Shao Han sullenly sighs.

"We got third place!" Amidst the sixth team, Yangyue Qin Feng cheers while slapping Hao Ming and Mu Rong's open palms in the air.

Hao Ming bursts in joy. "Oh, Brother Yangyue! Thanks to your advice from yesterday night about proper core engagement and breathing while exercising, I am able to persist through the course today. I am so indebted to you!"

Jun Shao Han bitterly watches as Yu Mu Rong and Hao Ming celebrates the ranking with Yangyue Mu Rong: "Why are you guys celebrating third place? We could've obtained first place if it wasn't because of me-" His eyes turn to the Warrior Prince.

Bai Xuan Ye's attention rests on the team members who are celebrating the achievement. The Warrior Prince crosses his arms, his eyes flicker with contentment.

Even he is satisfied..

Silence shadows Jun Shao Han.

Why are they reacting this way? Shouldn't they blame me, condemn me?

When Hao Ming goes over to Jun Shao Han and pats him on the shoulder, he says, "Brother Jun, aren't you glad we got third place this time? We may have lagged near the end, but-"

Jun Shao Han's pupils flare up as he grits his teeth. "Don't joke with me! It was my fault that we got third place this time so don't conceal my failure with your laughter and smile!"

Shouting erratically, Jun Shao Han brushes Hao Ming's arm away: "..I hate people like you."

For the next week of training, Jun Shao Han becomes quite distant with the group. He does not speak with any of the members in his free will. Should he by any chance do so, the conversation is short-lived.

Jun Shao Han feels a complex emotion. In his heart, he still buys into the word "failure."

He reminisces back to the strict guidelines his family impose without any rationale. All his life, he has attempted to avoid failure at all cost, for failure is the opposite of success. It is the corollary of disappointment. So why are they so happy and satisfied with such a low standard?

Following a week of training, the Military Academy allows the students to receive the mails from their family. It is another strenuous day of military exercises, but almost everyone is pleased to know they can hear back from their families.

When the crescent moon gleams down the academy and the crickets begin to chirp, boxes of mail are delivered to each residence. Within the sixth team's dormitory, there is a combination of noises.

"WAH!" gasps Hao Ming, who notices the bundle of letters written for the Warrior Prince. He digs in the box, "Brother Bai, you are super popular! Look at this, you even received a letter from Princess Cai Wei."

Bai Xuan Ye is laying in his mattress, reading a booklet. "Who's that?"

"W-What! She's one of the top beauties in the Imperial Palace. She is fairly favored across the city! How could you not know?"

His brows raise, "Doesn't sound familiar."

Hao Ming pouts in disappointment, "I give up."

Yangyue Qin Feng carefully separates the letters on the table, "Hao Ming, you received quite a bit of letters as well. Are the senders from your village? "

Scratching the back of his head, Hao Ming turns crimson, "Y-Yeah.. I am quite close with the people in my village. I used to safeguard the village from bandits, hence everyone was grateful for my help. You see, the reason why I joined the Military Academy is because I want to grow strong." His mouth curves into a smile, "I want to protect those I cherish."

"You will get there, Hao Ming." Yangyue Qin Feng remarks while she slides her mother's letter into her pockets. She smiles, "I know you will."

Yu Mu Rong adds to her comment, "No doubt."

Hao Ming grins cheerfully. "Ah! Brother Jun!" he exclaims, "I think there is a mistake in the box. Your letters must have been misplaced. I will go ask-"

"There is no need," speaks Jun Shao Han, who is laying on his side. He turns his back on them.

"There's no.. what?"

"No need."

"What do you mean..?" ponders Hao Ming.

"I don't have any letters."

The room goes silent. Hao Ming exchanges glances with the others.

They all nod and approach Jun Shao Han. They all place one hand over his shoulder.

"Brother Jun," begins Hao Ming, "I am not too sure what issues exist in your family, but if you need a listening ear, we are all here."

Yangyue Qin Feng nods, "We may have had a rough relationship in the beginning, but we are all a team now. A team will never let one of its member face trouble alone."

A team?

Facing the other side, Jun Shao Han feels his body go weak. His lower lips quiver. He firms up, "W..Why are you all acting so mushy? It's.. disgusting."

"D-Disgusting?!"

"I knew it."

"See, I told you Hao Ming. That was mushy."

"WHAT! You only stared at me!" cries Hao Ming.

A faint smile crosses Jun Shao Han's visage.

Maybe. Just maybe. These are people he can rely on from here on.