Leak in the Roof

When we made it back home, my stomach was begging for more food. "You eat so much!" Nora exasperatingly declared.

"Sorry," I shrugged.

"Thanksgiving isn't for another two days." She said under her breath as she got out of her truck.

"THANKSGIVING! That's the holiday going on right now." I helped her with the groceries and then watched her put things away. I got dressed into some of the clothes she bought me and asked if she needed a hand. She made me lunch along with herself then went to clean up the kitchen. I watched her and she noticed.

"Why are you always looking at me?" She asked with her back turned to me and her hands in the sink.

"Just studying you. Can you blame me? We're soulmates."

"True."

"Come on, I bet you had fun dressing me up into those pajamas."

"I'll be honest. You have a very nice body. Truly a beautiful specimen of a man." I smiled. "But you lack basic etiquette and chivalry skills."

"What?"

"You didn't even offer to help me with lunch nor clean it up. Don't bother now, I'm almost done."

"Alright, what can I do for you, Nora?" She paused, and I knew me saying her name obviously did something to her. I had helped her earlier but something told me that she liked to be that stubborn type that acted put out all the time.

"Can you fix my roof?"

"Fix your roof?"

"And make sure the chickens are in their coop. Also that the fire wood gets chopped. You interrupted me this morning. I wasn't able to finish."

"Okay." I picked out some jeans instead of sweats and walked into the bathroom. I changed and when Nora saw me, she stopped and stared. I snickered and that blank face of her's turned into a frown.

"You're hot, okay? Am I not allowed to study you in return?"

"Study me all you want, Nory."

"Nory?"

"If you don't like it, too bad. You call me 'buddy' against my request not to." I shrugged and she rolled her eyes.

"Let me show you around outside." We walked out of the cabin and I followed her to the chicken coup. Sure enough, there were storm clouds rolling in. "I'll feed the chickens. I want you to chop the fire wood before the wood gets wet." I nodded and went back inside for the ax.

I chopped, splitting the wood in two. But the tool kept getting stuck. I studied the blade and noticed it was very dull. I placed it against the house and just split the wood with my bare hands. After a few of them, I looked up and found Nora watching me with amazement in her eyes. I snickered and tore apart another log. She rolled her hazel eyes and began picking up my split wood. She took some of it inside and then I helped her stack it against the house and put a tarp on top once I was done.

"No heating system?" I dumbly asked.

"Nope. Wood is cheaper. And I can just put on a sweater if I get a little cold."

Tough girl.

"No phone?" I asked.

"Nope. No one to call."

"Not even family?" She didn't answer me.

"I have everything I need right here." She declared as she took a step into the cabin. I followed and wondered what she was going to have me do next. When she saw me enter she shooed me back out.