Chapter 1 - Nuclear Thaw

When McKayla woke up, she instinctively tightened her embrace around her son who was still breathing and asleep and saw a woman in a hazmat suit open her husband's pod.

Mike coughs, his breathing ragged. "Is it over? Are we okay?"

The woman slowly answered his question. "Almost, everything is going to be fine." She reaches for the baby. "Come here... come here baby."

Mike's expression changed to one of confusion. "Wait. No, I've got him!"

Then, McKayla heard the most terrifying voice in her life. "Let the boy go. I'm only going to tell you once!"

Mike gave the man a look of defiant despite his tiredness and shakiness. "I'm not giving you Shaun!"

A gunshot echoes through the room and Mike suddenly lays dead.

The man grunted angrily. "Goddamnit, get the kid out of here, and let's go." He walks up to McKayla's pod. "At least we still have the backups."

The pods are reactivated, refreezing McKayla and Y/n.

Years later

McKayla woke up with Y/n in her arms. Once again, her grip on him tightened. As the pod opened, the brisk cold air entered McKayla's bones, causing her to shiver. The room filled with mist with every breath.

Slowly climbing out of the pod, McKayla tried to find her bearings. Trying not to fall, she held onto the rims of the pod until she could see. When everything grew more grounded,

Taking a moment, McKayla saw her son open his eyes much to her own relief. Sitting on the floor, she watched him hold onto her for a few moments.

McKayla took another deep breath. "Can you walk buddy?"

Y/n slowly stands up and wobbles a bit. "Y-Yeah."

McKayla breathes a sigh of relief. "Okay. Stay close to me."

Y/n nodded, shivering. "Yes, ma'am".

Looking around the room, McKayla finds a loaded 10mm pistol and several cartridges of ammunition. Hearing another pod open, she turns to see one of her neighbor's children, Alice, falling from a pod.

Y/n rushes to her aid, helping her up and hugging her. The young girl returns the hug quickly as they were friends. Realizing that they needed to adjust, at least a little.

"You two, stay here. I'm going to have a look around."

Y/n nods before his mother walks away.

Spotting several radroaches in the hallway, McKayla's eyes widen in surprise.

"Holy shit. Giant cockroaches?" The young woman whispers.

Walking back to a door, McKayla lifts it up, a bit of her hair being frizzed. The room she entered was quite full. It was stock with quite a few supplies. Mostly building materials like steel and glass.

Surprised, McKayla approaches a crate. When she opened it, she found a full set of experimental power armor. It was far different than the T-60. It had a rather strange appearance. The helmet appeared to have a built-in gas mask. The visor was a silver tint and the breastplate looked as though it provided great comfort and protection.

"Carbon fibrous filaments and titanium plate?" McKayla asked aloud in shock.

Touching the armor, she was suddenly paralyzed. Unable to comprehend what was happening, her jumpsuit was suddenly covered in a liquid metal that began to take form. When she came to, she saw that she was wearing the armor set she'd found.