Chapter 2- Jupiter's Curse

I’ve just picked up the money from the finances department of the WTUA and I’m heading to the airport by taxi. The WTUA always funds missions, much like any secret service group. All I have to do is get Keith out of Rio de Janeiro. Easy as pie...sort of. Somehow I have the feeling that the relationship between me and the director will never be the same.

The taxi driver rounds the corner, where the stadium that Jason Shore’s concert is currently being held.

“Whoa!” the driver says, clearly shocked at something that I can’t see from the back seat.

“What is it?” I ask trying to peek over the passenger seat to get a better look.

“There is a lot of people just streaming out of that stadium...was there a concert or something?”

Confused, I roll down the window to try to see what the commotion is about, letting the icy night air into the car, “There’s supposed to be...”

I’m cut off by angry fans, “We want Jason, we want Jason!”

Their chanting makes me wonder if Jason was a no show so I just have to ask a fan as we’re stopped at a red light.

“Hey!” I wave to someone standing on the sidewalk, arms crossed and a permanent scowl on her face

“Hey, what’s going on around here? Isn’t there a concert?” I have to yell above the noise of the traffic and protesting fans.

“There was one,” she shouts back, “But he just came on stage and announced that he’s giving up music to do something he’s passionate about,” she rolls her eyes, “What a jerk! And to think I thought we were going to get married.”

I pull my head back into the window. Giving up music? To do what?

I’m thinking the entire rest of the way to the airport about what the girl had told me. What could he possibly be doing to want to give up fame, fortune and singing for a crowd that loves him. Although I’m not a Jason Shore fanatic, I kind of wish that he hadn’t made the decision to quit his dreams.

“Listen to this,” the taxi driver interrupts my thoughts and cranks up the radio. It’s a story about the craziness at the stadium.

“...Teen pop star, Jason Shore, just recently announced that he won’t be singing for them ever again...”

The story jumps to the sound of a noisy stadium and the sound of Jason Shore trying to hush everyone, “Alright, alright. I know you’ve all come here to hear me sing,” a girl screams in the background, “But I’m sorry to say that I’m quitting my music career....”

The announcer cuts the recording and her voice is heard, “Reporters say that he slipped out the back door and ran at full sprint to a taxi, telling everyone that he was in a hurry to get to the airport. Rumors have already started that he’s fleeing the country or that a relative is sick and he needs to get there quickly...”

The driver turned off the radio, “Maybe you’ll see him there,” he jokes, “Do you want help with your bags?”

“No, I’m good thanks. I only have a backpack anyways.”

“Do you need me to stay any longer?”

“Thanks for offering,” I hand him a wad of cash, “But I hope to get a flight tonight.”

He nods, “Oh,” the driver turned around and handed me a watch, “Keep track of time in Rio,” he flashed a devious grin before speeding away.

“What was that about?” I ask myself. But I shrug it off and strap the watch to my wrist, only concerned about reaching Brazil.

Before leaving my condo, I had checked out all the prices for airlines and chose the cheapest one. There had been lots of seats to Rio de Janeiro so I knew I didn’t have to rush.